Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Potentially soon-to-be 2nd Forester owner here, looking to trade in our 2007 for a 2018. We've found this car from carmax (https://www.carmax.com/car/20180986) that seems like a good fit.

To a more experienced eye, does any info about the car stand out as a potential problem? Carmax is asking $21k for it, and my understanding is that price is basically non-negotiable. Does this seem reasonable? It's right in line with KBB. We have a mechanic we trust that we will take it to before we buy, but always like to get more opinions :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,284 Posts
To me? Seems kind of high... But then again, I've not priced them in a while...

As for red flags? Given that it's carmax, you don't know the service history of the vehicle and how well it was maintained. Don't fall for the carfax crap - because some shops and dealers do not post data to carfax so major repairs may not show up. Same for whatever service they offer (autocheck?)... it's ony as good as the records entered into the system.

Have your mech check it out and give you his opinion.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
67 Posts
Major services should be on the carfax hopefully, any recall services are trackable on subaru's website. Don't count on carfax as evidence of lack of accidents though. Having your mechanic check it out is good practice. They have a guarantee on no scratches or dents, so I'd check each panel carefully day one. Looks good, good luck!

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
61 Posts
For another 5-6,000 you can get a new one with a standard Warranty included and it will always be worth 5-6000 more. The only upside is it doesn't have Auto Start/Stop like the new ones, which made my Wife decide to keep her 2015 after spending time in my 2021.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Everything is negotiable! Save yourself the money over a new car. I wouldn’t worry about any major issues. Change the cvt fluid and the differential fluid if you don’t have records of it being done. Also perform a fuel system service (easy to do yourself) and that should help with keeping the engine running smoothly. (Subaru upper engine cleaner, injector cleaner in the fuel, and clean the throttle body, and fuel filter if you’re close to 60k miles.)

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
37 Posts
My experiences with Carmax were always good, but those were GM products. As long as the oil gets changed regularly the old adage "GM cars run badly longer than most other cars run" will hold true. That even holds true for some Japanese brands.

With a Subaru the importance of following the mx schedule and having good records can't be stressed enough. Definitely have it checked out. If your mechanic is the same one who worked on your '07 then you should be OK. So many independent shops won't even touch a Subaru except maybe for oil changes and brake jobs.

As for the price, maybe just a tad high for a non-Eyesight car, but about right for the mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts