Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...
Are these new cars being tracked? My wife (long story but we live in different cities) recently told me she got a letter from our insurance company, stating that our Forester has been being parked in a different address than what is stated on our policy.
How do they know that?
I know that for years they have had "black boxes in them that store info in case of airbag deployment, but knowing vehicle's location seems to be the case. I have searched the web for any info, but find nothing.
Mine is not equipped with gps, so that cant be the way they know.
Does anyone know of this ability? I find it disturbing, if they are tracking without informing us.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
761 Posts
@SooB NooB
Subaru is not tracking your vehicle and even if they do, they wouldn't be sharing that with your insurance...
As @Scooby24 mentioned, I did had OBDII port plug for Metromile and I remember that they explicitly stated that tracking is for mile calculation purposes only. Other companies have different programs.

Off Topic: I use commercial cargo/liability/physical damage insurance for my transportation company and insurance agents will actually got to our (secured) parking location, count units, visit our office etc.
But those units are up to $170k/unit + up to $100k/unit for cargo, and I doubt that they will invest any work to inspect $30k vehicle.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
Subaru's Starlink rides on a commercial cell provider, AT&T I think. The carrier would have the ability to determine the general location of the car based on the specific tower it connected to. Whether they do anything with that information?

·
Registered
2017 base model manual 6 speed
1,259 Posts
Remove the radio and in the back, you will find a tracker, used most of the times to find the vehicle in case they need to repo it.
There was a tread a few months ago, with pictures showing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
447 Posts
Soob Noob, why don't you call your insurance agent and ask him/her? The agent and the insurance company work for you. Not the other way around.

I think there is a better than average chance that the call was a scam rather than a legit call from the insurance company.

·
Registered
2017 Premium with ES CVT
283 Posts
This is interesting and like to know how this all ends.OP mentions a letter was send from Insurance,so we can rule out scam calls.

I would still encourage OP to call insurance and ask how they arrived at the decision about parking location;if Insurance did indeed get the info.I am pretty sure,they would have boiler plate language and OP would never know the real "How".

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
651 Posts
Could also be a private company that is reading license plates. They will sell this to loads of people like banks or repo agents. Park somewhere your plates can't be read from the street or take your plates off when you park if you want privacy :)

·
Registered
2016 Toyota RAV4 Auto
150 Posts
As long you have a Telematic (Cell / mobile radio) module is trackable. Those SOS buttons on ceiling.
No matter you activated you account or not, the cell radio is trackable.
Simply pull the "black box" out.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
820 Posts
Does anyone answer if you hit the SOS button but no longer have an active Starlink account?

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
110 Posts
I believe you need a current Starlink subscription for the SOS and roadside assistance buttons to work. Btw, I was able to renew Starlink on my Forester for half price, using a link I found on the Subaru Outback Forum.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
702 Posts
Hey all...
Are these new cars being tracked? My wife (long story but we live in different cities) recently told me she got a letter from our insurance company, stating that our Forester has been being parked in a different address than what is stated on our policy.
For info, which insurance company, what state and was the different address distance minor or big (2 miles or 500 miles)? Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Being of suspicious mind, after reading the OP statement about the fact that he and his wife live in different cities I suspect that the OP is trying to find out how to track his wife by using the car's technology. I don't have any evidence, but unless the guy is a nut (which is possible) I think that the spouse tracking scenario is the most likely.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Being of suspicious mind, after reading the OP statement about the fact that he and his wife live in different cities I suspect that the OP is trying to find out how to track his wife by using the car's technology. I don't have any evidence, but unless the guy is a nut (which is possible) I think that the spouse tracking scenario is the most likely.
I agree. He hasn’t responded or replied to any of the posts in 3 days.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota RAV4 Auto
150 Posts
Do insurance company have any legal right to track vehicles without owner's permission? Including GPS or License plate/VIN number/Driver surveillance for extended period overnight parking.

·
Registered
2017 forester
18 Posts
I don't know about the insurance company "tracking" a vehicle but Im pretty sure the insured has an obligation to tell the company about anything which may change their risk and hence premium, including having the vehicle parked in a place where the rating may be quite different to that which the insured originally claimed as their residence and hence likely place vehicle is mostly parked.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Auto
6 Posts
Could also be a private company that is reading license plates. They will sell this to loads of people like banks or repo agents. Park somewhere your plates can't be read from the street or take your plates off when you park if you want privacy :)
FYI do not park on the street with your plates off, this is illegal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts