Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester SJ 2.5i-L CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have 7000 km on my 2018 Forester SJ and I plan to do my own servicing.

It's not mentioned in the manual so is it essential to use an upper engine cleaner at every service? I thought carbon build up is relatively low on port injected engines?

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is a pretty good thread:

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,129 Posts
We have D I no proof it helps. I do use deacons every 3I mile s

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,271 Posts
Hi, I have 7000 km on my 2018 Forester SJ and I plan to do my own servicing.

It's not mentioned in the manual so is it essential to use an upper engine cleaner at every service? I thought carbon build up is relatively low on port injected engines?
Your best defense against carbon build up in a port-injected engine is to use Top Tier Gasoline:

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,896 Posts
The better grades of gas have "detergents" included which does a lot of the same job as FB noted above.
The "requirement" at the service department of the dealership is to extract as much money as possible from the customer, and their recommended use of upper engine cleaner is primarily designed to do that.
For what they charge for a single "service", you could buy enough bottles of Seafoam to do it yourself for the lifetimes of several cars.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
783 Posts
It's not mentioned in the manual so is it essential to use an upper engine cleaner at every service?
In Australia it is mandated at every service and included in the capped service price (as is the fuel additive), supposedly because of the high sulfer crap petrol available here. It would be wise to use it during the warranty period.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,271 Posts
I wish this showed the number of years passed using each type of gas (TT or non)
Not sure this answers your question but there is this statement in section 4.2 Methodology:
"The test engine is operated continuously for 100 hours which simulates roughly 4,000 miles of real-world driving".

·
Registered
264 Posts
Up until the past couple of fill-ups, I had used non-TT gas since new. Just wondering how that has affected/continues to affect my car. I have just over 22,000 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts