Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,329 Posts
Yes. It is difficult to remove all the oil out of my 2012 FB25 NA engine. There was still 1-2 quarts left in the engine no matter how far in I inserted the hose. I recommend you open the drain plug to remove all the oil.

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,213 Posts
A second best as far as convenience, would be to install one of the drain valves in place of the drain plug that accepts a hose. I have the Fumoto, and draining the oil is a no mess ordeal now. Just put the hose on the valve, and into a previous jug if you buy the 5 quart containers, and open the valve. Wait until the oil levels off in the jug, and close the valve, remove the hose.

I never really got into the extractor pumps, as all my previous cars had the filter underneath anyways. I can see the appeal with the filter being up top, but since I have done it underneath for the last 40 years..., and a little test to see if I can still manage to get off the ground every so often never hurts!

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
2,396 Posts
the fb25 has a bad angle from the dipstick tube oil extractors wont get to the bottom of the pan
some cars you leave nothing(works great) others its worthless.. well except for removing some if you overfill.

· Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
6,244 Posts
Unlike German vehicles that were designed for oil extraction, the Subaru design shape of the oil pan and dipstick tube makes it not a good idea for oil extraction. It's how I do oil changes on my 2014 ML 350 Bluetec, all 8L with the extractor.

· Registered
375 Posts
I have used a powered oil extractor for many years on many different vehicles. It is somewhat difficult on my '19, but with a small amount of effort it works fine. After the dip tube is in the sump for a while the oil level will drop below the tip and it stops pulling oil. By slowly pushing the dip tube down the filler neck and twisting the tube a little it is not hard to get out the remaining oil I pull the dirty oil into a measured container and have no problems getting out almost the entire sump. It does take a little practice, but with the top mount filter the whole process is easy and you don't have to get under the car.
I don't believe the few ounces I might leave in are any worse than what happens when you go to a shop as they will never wait for all the oil to completly drain and they leave in some dirty oil as well. I have also found that if you break the seal on the filter and let it drain back into the engine while you use the extractor there is very little dripping out of the filter into the catch ring when you unscrew the unit.

I buy the pumps on ebay and find that they are only good for about 15- 0 changes before they crap out. I used to get them for about 20 dollars, but I have seen them jump up in price recently

· Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,352 Posts
I have used a manual vacuum pump oil extractor for ten years on a 1997 BMW Z3 and a 2007 EJ25 Forester, and three years on a 2016 FB20 Impreza. I push the hose into the dipstick tube until it hits bottom. When the oil flow stops and I hear it sucking air, I think it has removed almost all the oil. I change the oil every 2,500 and the filter every 5,000 so draining the last drop is not important to me. The Forester has a Fumoto drain valve which I use when doing filter changes underneath. I appreciate the topside filters on the Z3 and Impreza.

· Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,930 Posts
Others have had difficulty with extractors. My takeaway from the thread below not to use the largest tube that fits the dipstick tube. Got stuck.

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
1,893 Posts
I'll second the suggestion about Germans versus Subarus. I have a vacuum extractor and it works well on my 2014 Audi 2.0T getting all the oil out, that I put in months earlier. But on my 2017 Forester XT (FA20F) I haven't been able to get out the full total oil quantity I put in. So I use the drain plug.

· Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,352 Posts
Re Post #7, I had an experience with my oil extractor after which I edited that post then restored it, and now have completely edited/changed this post.

I thought the extractor had left a quart of oil in my Forester -- because I sucked to air, filled with 5 quarts, decanted the old oil into the new oil's jug, and looking into the jug, saw there was a quart less in there.

I now see that the log says I had used 4 single quarts for the last oil change 2500 miles ago, and today I had put in 5 quarts from a jug.

This happened because if I am buying quarts, I put in 4 quarts. If I find a 5-qt jug, I put all of it in rather than save the jug.

The actual capacity of my year is:
5 quarts - XT when replacing filter
4.8 quarts - X when replacing filter
4.2 quarts - X if not replacing filter
And I ignore the filter as I am sure the little thing does not hold .6 quart.

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
2,396 Posts
I use an extractor with my 2017 Forester XT and get 5L out (~5.3 quart).
Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk
Maybe I'll try it again.. I had no luck with the 15 forester or 13 outback.
Not like it wastes anything but 15min of I have an air powered extractor. Works great on my tractors, OPE.
Even with fiddling it was leaving well over a quart in the subarus.
Would be nice for a wet cold winter oil change. On a nice day I dont mind pulling the drain plug.

The tractor it actually takes out more than comes out with the drain valve.. with no mess and no reaching in a small frame hole with needlenose vice grips.

· Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 CVT
33 Posts
When using the extractor you have to make sure the extractor tube hits the bottom. I measured the extracted oil several times and it clearly fills the empty oil can to the amount expected based on the dipstick reading. When the old oil was at the top hole on the dipstick the amount that comes out is approximately 5 quarts. When closer to the bottom hole on the dipstick, just about 4 quarts or so comes out. I am convinced that there is very little old oil is left in the oil pan. (this is on the 2014) A small amount is irrelevant once it gets diluted with the new oil.
There is no way to extract all of the oil completely out of the engine with any method short of taking the engine apart because small amount of old oil is spread throughout the engine even when it's not running. Even draining takes more time than most oil change places take to do the oil change with the standard method. One time i extracted the oil from a warm engine and then let it sit for a few hours. When i came back later i extracted another cup or so because it kept draining from the engine slowly during that time. Some amount of old oil left in the engine is normal and gets diluted when the engine is restarted after the oil change.

· Registered
2015 Forester CVT
60 Posts
Oil is cheap, engines aren't.

I'm not a fan of oil extractors because I don't think they really do get all the old oil out. On SWMBO's 2015 Forester, there's sufficient room to do a normal oil drain-and-refill sequence with no real problem. (Working on a concrete floor helps, I wouldn't care to do this on dirt.) This is one of the easiest cars I've ever had to do an oil change on - everything is where you can get at it and there is room to work. The top mounted filter is a real blessing. I can do an oil change and filter, including disposing of the old oil (two liter soda bottles are great!) and cleanup in less than an hour, taking my time. It is also worth LOTS of points with Dear Bride (tm).

On my beater (Honda Accord), draining the oil is no big deal, but the filter is WAY up underneath the engine, under the intake manifold. I am not about to crawl under a car on jack stands to save $20, I can get the oil and the filter changed for under $30 complete and not even get my hands dirty.

On my MB, that's another story - this one needs a lift, the oil drain plug is in a really awkward place and there are two belly pans which have to come off and then go back on. Fortunately, I do have access to a lift, so I do this one myself - I am not about to trust a quickie oil change joint with that car - and they don't have or even know about the felt filter element. I won't use an extractor for this because I want to make sure ALL the old oil (and ALL the contaminants in it) are GONE, that engine is way too expensive to take chances with.

Funny thing is I HAVE an oil extractor setup, I just don't feel like using it.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

· Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
193 Posts
Subaru oil changes are about as easy as it gets.

Oil changes are the perfect time to rotate the tires and that requires jacking the car anyway.

The physical exertion is good for the body. The only reason I could see for using an extractor is if I was disabled in some way and then I'd probably take it to a shop.

· Registered
3 Posts
I drive about 30,000 miles a year a change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. I'll use an extractor if it doesn't need any other service that requires it be on jacks or ramps. It's very quick, less messy and with some persistence I can get almost all the oil out.

· Registered
2014 Forester
33 Posts
Yes. It is difficult to remove all the oil out of my 2012 FB25 NA engine. There was still 1-2 quarts left in the engine no matter how far in I inserted the hose. I recommend you open the drain plug to remove all the oil.
Hi there. I have a 2018 Forester. I was wondering if anyone has tried successfully to use an engine oil extractor to pump the oil out during an oil/filter change? Thanks.
Just buy a Fumoto drain valve. That makes it very easy to drain the oil from under the car. No need to replace the drain plug gasket after that.

· Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
28 Posts
I used the extractor on a VW I previously owned. Dealer recommended it. Seemed to work fine but I always wondered if I got the last bit of oil and dirt out. Have never used on my Subaru… installed a Fumoto drain that works great. The extractor has been helpful on mowers and other equipment. Can also be useful if you accidentally overfill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts