Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
MY18 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

So I seem to have run into some difficulties wiring up my LED driving lights on my MY18 Forester XT Premium.
This is the model with LED self levelling headlights, with the automatic high beams running through the iSight - although I will likely have that disable by the dealer as the light output of the driving lights will likely disrupt its function.

The issue I'm having is locating a "trigger" to use - I am unable to locate the high beam trigger on the headlight plugs to run into the wiring harness for the driving lights. I am even unable to use the high beam light fuse in the fuse box as it doesn't actually appear to be connected to anything.
I had an auto-electrician out to wire up the lights and he was unable to figure out how to do it...

Just wondering if anyone here has managed to do this, or has any advice?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Josh

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
444 Posts
wrong information, please disregard!

Would you consider using one of these as a quick and dirty solution?

Plugs into the halogen 9005 input, one end goes to the original bulb and the remaining end (probably just the positive lead) can go to trigger your driving light relay harness. Saves you from hacking up any original wiring as well!

·
Registered
MY18 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would, I think that would be a clean and easy way to do it, but again with the LED headlights in the XT Premium will that work?
I've never had a problem trying to find the high beam trigger switch in a car, but in all honesty I'm not too sure on how these auto LED headlights function...

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
444 Posts
Oh, my apologies. I overlooked the fact that you had the LED headlights....even though it's in your avatar and also in the original post itself lol 🤦

In that case, my solution will obviously not work. It would only function for the halogen lights.

You need to find the trigger wire on the headlight harness itself (i prefer doing any splicing on the headlight's wiring, rather than car-side of the harness.) I know that 2017+ lights have two separate bulkhead connectors for each headlight.

I've worked on factory led headlights before (R35 GT-R) and any wiring that corresponded to low/high beam functions lead into the light through a grommet like the one circled in the photo below:

2017+ Forester LED headlight

My assumption would be that the high beam solenoid trigger would be one of those wires.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0D-S
2 Posts
Hi, i would be curious to see if you have a solution to the light bar wiring??. I have the light bar, a bracket... but stuck on what to do regarding the wiring of it haha.

Was there a way to identify the high beam trigger?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
554 Posts
Do you have any blanks on the dash you could use for buttons? I have fog light controls integrated into the stalk on the steering wheel but I was able to use the stock location for fog lights on lower trim models to use that button (had to buy it) to control my led light bar. I was even able to use part of the stock wiring harness to power the lighting function of the OEM fog button. Their are a few posts on how to do this here.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
25 Posts
wrong information, please disregard!

Would you consider using one of these as a quick and dirty solution?

Plugs into the halogen 9005 input, one end goes to the original bulb and the remaining end (probably just the positive lead) can go to trigger your driving light relay harness. Saves you from hacking up any original wiring as well!

Masticator, could you provide a link to that "Y" cable? Even though it's not appropriate for this situation it would be helpful for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
444 Posts
Masticator, could you provide a link to that "Y" cable? Even though it's not appropriate for this situation it would be helpful for me.

Thanks
Cheapo ones, also on amazon with prime for a bit more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-9005-9006-High-Beam-Splitter-For-Quad-Dual-Projector-Headlights-Retrofit/162587916270?hash=item25dafeb7ee:g:vAYAAOSwlRpZZYgc&vxp=mtr

Nicer quality ones with techflex braiding

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/high-beam-splitters.html

Get the 9005 male to 9005/9006 female (first option)

·
Registered
MY18 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys,

So just in case anyone else on here needs a solution to this...

You need a canbus interface to give you a highbean trigger.

This is where to get it - http://www.canm8.com/canm8-highbeam.html

If you’ve got a 2018 xt premium, then you’ll need to talk to George as it needs the latest firmware which was made made off my car.

Then you can’t connect to the CANbus interface through the obd2 port as theres a firewall restricting data.
So the easiest place to access the can is behind the cluster - blue and red wire.

All the rest is pretty straight forward.
Hope this helps someone!

Cheers
Josh

·
Registered
271 Posts
So i got the canm8 for the 2019 and it didnt work. Contacted canm8 about it, and they are still talking with distributors as this seems to be a problem. Something about a gateway block.

still pending. Just fyi for people who might be looking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys!

So I seem to have run into some difficulties wiring up my LED driving lights on my MY18 Forester XT Premium.
This is the model with LED self levelling headlights, with the automatic high beams running through the iSight - although I will likely have that disable by the dealer as the light output of the driving lights will likely disrupt its function.

The issue I'm having is locating a "trigger" to use - I am unable to locate the high beam trigger on the headlight plugs to run into the wiring harness for the driving lights. I am even unable to use the high beam light fuse in the fuse box as it doesn't actually appear to be connected to anything.
I had an auto-electrician out to wire up the lights and he was unable to figure out how to do it...

Just wondering if anyone here has managed to do this, or has any advice?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Josh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a 2019 (Australia) Forester which put in as soon as purchased for Driving lights and came up against this "no trigger" problem. Lights are so poor in outback conditions at night that have been restricted to 75 kph at night. In my other cars can do the 100 kph without driving lights turned on. Forster has the led h/lights. Worst standard lights in these conditions I have driven behind in over 20 years. Fine in mountains/hills but useless on the flat.
Mechanic at the dealers tried to tell me to find an aftermarket fitter. When I told him there was no high beam
globe he didn't believe me and went to check. Surprise surprise! Should have thought that for such a marque as Subaru there would have been a solution. Won't get caught when this car is replaced!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So i got the canm8 for the 2019 and it didnt work. Contacted canm8 about it, and they are still talking with distributors as this seems to be a problem. Something about a gateway block.

still pending. Just fyi for people who might be looking
Any luck with this yet? What did the unit cost?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cost 90$ usd. I just heard back from them, and seems like you have to take out the cluster and find the red and blue wires, can hi and lo. Too bad it cant be setup as simple as the obdii port.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cost 90$ usd. I just heard back from them, and seems like you have to take out the cluster and find the red and blue wires, can hi and lo. Too bad it cant be setup as simple as the obdii port.
Thanks fijoles, a little more difficult and invasive than I'm prepared to do at the moment. I've contacted Subaru Australia and awaiting a response. Subaru "Somewhere" must have thought this through at some time. Until then, she will become daylight use only when out of the city.... inconvenient.

·
Registered
271 Posts
yea, thats what i thought myself. purchased for the ease of accessing the obdii.

The canm8 fellas did speak with the austrailian vendors, which then told me about accessing the back of the cluster

let me know what they say directly

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was about to instal a CANM8 connect high beam unit on my 2019 Forester.
Instructions were to use the OBD2 for the hi and Lo CANbus triggers.
my fall back position will be to either:
  1. mount a good old foot operated high beam switch; or
  2. Mount a micro switch on the steering column just behind the indicator stalk
the micro switch would trigger a relay to a light bar whenever high beam is used.
A manual isolating switch would also be installed inline With the micro switch.
Might be the simple effective solution if the canm8 gets too complex.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts