Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 Forester Premium so here is my issue. When I move my drivers side visor over to the drivers side window, it sounds like the front door at the Munster's house. What is the best way to fix this? My wife complains that it reminds her of fingernails on a black board. Can I pry the cover off of the hinge screws and add lube of some kind?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
450 Posts
(UPDATE 12/10/2020: Still works like new after my 2018 lube repair)
Ha I recently had what sounds like your issue, the visor suddenly became very hard to pivot over to the drivers window and was extremely creaky, like the pivot point was seizing up. I unscrewed the visor from roof and tried spraying into the pivot area with Liquid Wrench silicone spray but no dice. Maybe I gave up too early and didn't allow it enough time to soak in. You can't take anything apart and there's little gap to spray into on the pivot piece. Last resort before buying new $50 visor was propping up visor upside down with the triangular roof mount on counter and sprayed into the mount's pivot gap with Tri-Flow w/Teflon with its tiny little spray tube and let it soak overnight. When I first tried pivoting the visor in the morning it was still stiff & noisy but I kept working it and it started to free up. I reinstalled it and swung it around a few times and it was like new- moved freely with no noise but still had enough friction to stay where you wanted. Been a few weeks and still good fwiw.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,169 Posts
@tuggle Being a 2018 - take it back for a warranty repair. This should easily fall under the bumber-to-bumper fix whatever coverage....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018 Subaru Forester. I've had the driver's side visor replaced twice under warranty. It starts squeaking and gets harder and harder to move. Since the problem was documented under warranty I'm covered. However replacing the visor only helps temporarily. I'm wondering if this affects all 2018 Subaru Foresters or if I just got "lucky":(

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
I had the same troubles as you are having. I had mine replaced under warranty.

Reactions: SPCV

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same issues with my 2018 Forester Premium that I purchased used this year. I found this post and thought there is no way I'm going to take it into the dealership which is over 100 miles away just to get two visor assemblies replaced (driver and passenger side make horrendous squeaking noise and were hard to move)...so I figured I would come up with a solution.

I did this two weeks ago and it's still working great so far. Minimal cost and only took about 10 minutes total.

1. White Lithium grease (I used Lucas White Lithium Grease NLGI #2) as I had a tube on hand.
  2. tooth picks
  3. Scrap paper
Here is what I did:

1. I took the toothpick and dipped it into the grease and spread that around the small opening between the plastic "frame" that holds the visor and visor arm in place. It doesn't need much, just a miniscule amount on the tip of the toothpick but make sure you get it around the entire circumference of the plastic arm.
  2. Next, use the scrap piece of paper to spread the grease further in the gap between the "frame" and the arm. This worked well for a smaller piece of scrap paper like a gas station receipt or similar. Work the grease in as best as possible. I've attached a photo to show how it looked while still "work in progress" and there was some excess grease to clean up with a paper towel or rag.
  3. Once you feel that you have a good amount of the grease worked in, swing the visor back and forth to pivot the arm and further work the grease in. It made the shrill noise for another 3-4 times but eventually went completely silent. I can now move the visor easily and without the awful noise haunting me or my passengers. Best of luck with the repair and hopefully this helps some others who are being haunted by the poor design/lack of grease along this hinge.
  4. 545566

1 - 7 of 7 Posts