Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,912 Posts
Looking for others feedback... 2018 Forester... hit 40,000 km (25,000 miles) and I had to have a complete brake and rotor job done... Is this normal?
Not normal unless you rest your foot on the brake pedal. Did your shop first give you actual brake pad thickness measurements?

2008 Forester here, hit 65,000 miles recently, and my dealer measured the pads at half-worn. You should have gotten a second opinion at another shop.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,912 Posts
If editing was offered, I would have said in my first post that new pads are Front 11mm and Rear 9mm, my Front and Rears were at 6mm, and they don't need replacement until at 2-3mm. That would have save a couple of posts.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
6 Posts
For reference, I replaced the brakes on my '15 Forester last fall at about 75,000 miles. One rear side was down to metal. I replaced the rear brakes and both rotors with mid grade, similar to OE aftermarket for about $86 US from an online parts dealer. Fronts were still in good shape.
Most car manufacturer warrantees I have seen do not cover brakes. The only time I got them to replace them under warrantee was because there was a defective rotor that caused pulling to one side when the brakes were applied. This was NOT on a Subaru.

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Keep my next vehicle indefinitely", isn't a move i'd make in my old age - to avoid exactly this type of situation whereby a mechanic talks you into an over-priced repair by preying on your caution. I'd lease every 3 years.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
562 Posts
Top price for oem rotors is $84 each.
pads cost $70 pair. You can do your own brakes for under $500. All four. Without a lot of special tools. If you take your time and are meticulous , you can do a better job than the dealership tech.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I baby my car and minimize my brake use. Have had over 15 new vehicles in my life and never a brake replacement still under warranty. I am not a left foot driver, I have the CVT, I leave lots of room between me and other vehicles and I slow down well before lights and stop signs before using my brakes. The hard braking was in traffic jams and I could here the brakes which is unusual and the pulsing was very slight (not hard enough braking for ABS which has a whole different pulse sensation). Sounds like I got ripped off by the dealer in the charges, but I spoke to Subaru and they basically told me to "stuff it". That is not what I expected from a supposed quality manufacturer.

·
Administrator
12,713 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us @TheMiz

40,000 klm does seem early to me, especially if the rotors needed to be done as well. The "pulsing" could have been from a warped rotor which could be a manufacturing defect or from driving into water with hot brakes.

There are other threads here where members are experiencing premature wear on the brakes for later models, so not good. I haven't checked but would be surprised if brake wear is covered under warranty over here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for others feedback. I bought a 2018 Forester Touring model because I retired and planned to keep my next vehicle indefinitely, so I went for what I thought was a quality product from a quality manufacturer. Love the vehicle despite it's tech items being way behind the competition, until I hit 40,000 km (25,000 miles) and I had to have a complete brake and rotor job done with 8 months left on warranty. Is this normal?????

Background: on the last service I took it in and asked them to check the brakes as there seemed to be a little noise and pulsing on quick stops (note: I baby my vehicles). They check it out and said I needed brakes and rotors done at $980. I said, wait this is still way under warranty and this should not be happening now. They shrugged and said that this is not covered by warranty. I said, give me a break. They then asked if I had had the brakes serviced. I said I have brought the vehicle in for every recommended an scheduled service that has been required and asked if this was a regular service item. The guy checks and says that I haven't had a brake service done. I asked if that is recommended and required by Subaru. He says it would have helped, but it is not required or recommended officially by Subaru. I said I have had over 15 new vehicles in my life and have never had to pay for anything during the warranty period other than regular maintenance and that this is ridiculous! Out of pity they give me a whole hundred dollars off.

Next I complained to Subaru and am told that it is too bad that this is not a warranty issue. I insist on talking to a supervisor or someone higher up and am told that their Service Manager does not talk to customers! Am I missing something or doesn't the title Service Manager mean that they are there to service their customers? In other words, to put it nicely "Stuff it"!

I have a buddy that has a 2019 Forester and apparently brake service is recommended for that model year. Are you kidding me! This seems like a bandaid for a quality issue.

Is this the way Subaru stands behind its products? At this point Subaru's quality and reputation are just the way things used to be. Am I the only one?

Thanks
One of the things you might think about is NOT using that lane keep assist. There’s a button on the right side of the steering wheel which went activated will ping pong the vehicle within your lane. This Lane keeping assist uses the brakes to maintain the vehicle path. If you’re having trouble with premature brake wear you may consider deactivating this safety feature. Just a thought

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ii want to thank everyone for their feedback. That my situation is not normal and it appears that on top of that the dealership soaked me. Lesson learned.

I do love the vehicle but was hoping I would hear someone tell me that they had Subaru stand behind their products, rather than just take the money and run. As I mentioned for me when I went directly to Subaru itself they just quoted their warranty and when I asked to speak with someone higher up because this isn't right they told me their service rep does not talk to customers. Now that is not service.

Hopefully there are no further issues and this is a one off, but sadly at this point I can't recommend Subaru to friends.

Thanks again all

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
252 Posts
That is all great and fine TheMiz, but forgive me if your automotive recommendations based upon your automotive knowledge fail to persuade me. You have not described why your rear brakes have worn early, only that in your opinion it should never occur. Do you really think brake wear is the same driving in St-John's Newfoundland as it is in Arizona? Driving patterns, how long the car sits between usages and where its parked, driving through deep slush filled puddles have an effect. It's sad and obviously frustrating that you are facing extra expenses, but I think your expectations are a bit unrealistic.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
787 Posts
Hopefully there are no further issues and this is a one off, but sadly at this point I can't recommend Subaru to friends.
FWIW, we have have had at least one since 1984 and do all of my own repairs so know these cars pretty well mechanically.

That being said: I'm with you, after watching my son go through an issue with his transmission.
The dealer effed his transmission up after a recall (all documented) and SOA didn't care.

I like the older versions but will not buy another Subaru.
Once the repair of my wife's 09 Legacy becomes untenable, I'm done with the brand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi Quadraria10, at 40,000km the dealer said front and rear rotors and breaks were gone, that's why the bill was over $900. I am in the Niagara area of Southern Ontario and yes that means more weather related issues than a climate like Arizona. But as I have mentioned I have had many new vehicles and never something within warranty like this without the company at least offering some support. My driving patterns and style have not changed, in fact I drive a lot less than I used to and do very little traffic jam driving since I am retired, so brake wear should be substantially less, wouldn't you agree? Plus how does driving less write off the rotors. Maybe a fluke of dirt or something unusual could cause excess or unusual break wear, but I can't see how that effects the rotors which caused the uneven wear on the brakes according to the dealership. Yes maybe I have high expectations. That is why I bought the Subaru, but I did not expect worse performance than the North American manufacturers that most of my other vehicles have been.

As I said hopefully this is a one-off and the vehicle will be a dream from here on out, but at this point I could not recommend it to friend or family, not to mention the cost of the repair by my local dealer, if everyone above is correct, I got taken advantage of.

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,450 Posts
I think something we are all not looking at here...there was no measurement you've provided on the brakes.

You brought in for noise and pulsing..noise may be as simple as needing to grease the pads/calipers/pins. Pulsing is very much likely a high spot as a result of pad material transfer and may need a rebedding. Neither of those may be as any true direct indicator of premature wear and may very well be as a result of road conditions resulting in noise, and pulsing being a scenario in which pad transferred like a hard stop and then standing on the brakes while hot rather than rolling forward to avoid pad transfer.

The dealer may just have recommended replacement because...well that's the easy thing to do and it will make them money.

It may simply be an issue with a dealer and not the car or the company. Get a second opinion.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
252 Posts
I have never experienced a dealer brake job for less than $500 for one axle. The longer the car sits the more rust on the rotors to be scraped off. The service advisor should have been able to explain or show you what happened to yours based upon what the mechanic found. I can guarantee you that my neighbor's 2019 KIA Soul will require a brake job in the next year. It's parked outside on grass all year long and rarely driven.
I am not trying to be an ahole, and I think it would have been nice of Subaru to make a bit more effort, but I don't think the quality of a car is commensurate with brake pad life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I hear you, but the brake pad wear was because of the rotors, according to the dealer. Brake pad wear would not have bothered me,but rotors and brakes at this point is a quality issue in my opinion but apparently not for Subaru. It's the rotors that upset me and doubled the bill.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Touring
15 Posts
i was going to ask where you lived, i would change your pads and rotors for you for less than half that. but looks like you're north of the border. feel like taking a drive down to oklahoma? :D anyway, brakes and rotors are never covered under normal warranties for any manufacturer. 2 rotors should run about $200 and new pads should be less than $100 for a set. Does canada use alot of salt on their roads which rust up your undercarriage?

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
252 Posts
I hear you as well and can relate. A decade ago, after a $1400 estimate and hard sell by a dealer, for a worn ball joint on the driver's side control arm, requiring both front control arms to be replaced, I made a resolution to never say yes on the spot. By researching the repair, buying my own parts and hiring a mechanic to do a specific job, I saved a bit over $1000. I am happy to have a dealer or mechanic inspect my car, but I am also conscious that the call to the counter with their recommendations afterward is a high-pressure sales scenario, and that for the most part waiting a few days or even weeks is not going to make that much difference.
Just saw this and thought of you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ha, would love to come down to Oklahoma right now as the snow is flying. Yes we use salt up here, but that has been true forever with every vehicle I have owned. A close friend of mine had a similar issue apparently with a Ford Flex actually just 2 months out of warranty with really low mileage. When he complained Ford picked up the parts and the dealer cut the labor. He paid less than half of the repair. I would have been happy with that even under warranty, but oh well.

Quadraria10: guess I will have to drive it for another 3 years to test out that article ;) The 2018 model would not have hit that list yet I suppose. Hoping it becomes true for me too!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.