Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for others feedback. I bought a 2018 Forester Touring model because I retired and planned to keep my next vehicle indefinitely, so I went for what I thought was a quality product from a quality manufacturer. Love the vehicle despite it's tech items being way behind the competition, until I hit 40,000 km (25,000 miles) and I had to have a complete brake and rotor job done with 8 months left on warranty. Is this normal?????

Background: on the last service I took it in and asked them to check the brakes as there seemed to be a little noise and pulsing on quick stops (note: I baby my vehicles). They check it out and said I needed brakes and rotors done at $980. I said, wait this is still way under warranty and this should not be happening now. They shrugged and said that this is not covered by warranty. I said, give me a break. They then asked if I had had the brakes serviced. I said I have brought the vehicle in for every recommended an scheduled service that has been required and asked if this was a regular service item. The guy checks and says that I haven't had a brake service done. I asked if that is recommended and required by Subaru. He says it would have helped, but it is not required or recommended officially by Subaru. I said I have had over 15 new vehicles in my life and have never had to pay for anything during the warranty period other than regular maintenance and that this is ridiculous! Out of pity they give me a whole hundred dollars off.

Next I complained to Subaru and am told that it is too bad that this is not a warranty issue. I insist on talking to a supervisor or someone higher up and am told that their Service Manager does not talk to customers! Am I missing something or doesn't the title Service Manager mean that they are there to service their customers? In other words, to put it nicely "Stuff it"!

I have a buddy that has a 2019 Forester and apparently brake service is recommended for that model year. Are you kidding me! This seems like a bandaid for a quality issue.

Is this the way Subaru stands behind its products? At this point Subaru's quality and reputation are just the way things used to be. Am I the only one?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
We have had a half dozen Subarus and I don’t recall brake issues. Brakes are typically not covered by warranty as a normal wear item but could be in an extra service contract.

Now that you are out of warranty, you may want to find a trusted local mechanic for service.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
676 Posts
until I hit 40,000 km (25,000 miles) and I had to have a complete brake and rotor job done with 8 months left on warranty. Is this normal?????
No. It isn't.
on the last service I took it in and asked them to check the brakes as there seemed to be a little noise and pulsing on quick stops (note: I baby my vehicles). They check it out and said I needed breaks and rotors done at $980.
Re the pulsing, do you mean activation of the ABS - anti lock braking system? If so do you regularly brake that hard? It could explain why your brakes were shot at only 40,000 km.

He says it would have helped, but it is not required or recommended officially by Subaru.
They are supposed to check the brakes at each service and most dealers here will print the amount of pad material left on the service record/invoice. For what it's worth, at the last service my Forester with 70,xxx km, about 15k of which were towing a boat, still had 7.5mm of pad left on the front brakes and 6mm on the rears. At it's first scheduled service 3 months after purchase all the brakes had 8mm pad depth which I assume is the new thickness.

If you don't ride your brakes, or otherwise abuse them then I suspect either there is some environmental issue such as abrasive dust, or your dealer has conned you.

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,437 Posts
Brake pads and rotors are not a warranty item and even if they truly did need to be replaced could be done with basic tools and a YouTube video with quality parts for around 300 for all four corners....even less if you don't care about higher end aftermarket.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,652 Posts
Brakes are typically not covered by warranty as a normal wear item but could be in an extra service contract.
Brake pads and rotors are not a warranty item...
Brake pads ARE a 3 year/36k mile warranty item in the US, but apparently not in Canada where the OP resides.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
209 Posts
Get a second opinion at another shop. I have 48,000 on my 2016, and tow a trailer frequently so am not easy on the brakes, and the pads have over 50% life left. So something is amiss with the dealers diagnosis or your particular vehicle.

When you say you 'talked to Subaru' was that the managers at that dealer or SOA?

·
Registered
2018 Premium 2.5i 6M
122 Posts
Agreed with @ForesterBill. The pads are covered under the Wear Item Limited Warranty for the timeframe he mentioned. Definitely take it to another dealership for this warranty repair.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
49 Posts
Brake life depends on how car is driven. On previous 2 cars (not Subaru), I had to change brakes around 50k miles, with mixed city/highway driving. If the car is used 100% in city driving, 25k miles for brake pads change is not that outrageous.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Totally agree with 2016Forester. Here is a great summary of brake pad wear illustrating his point:
How often should brakes be replaced?

Forester pads, rotors and labor should run between $350 and $450 at US Subaru dealers, so $1,000 seems a little "gouging" to me. Also, if his pads were at zero, he should have started to hear either the wear button or the calipers grinding into the rotors. If he continued driving the car at that point, then the rotor replacement onus is on him. IOW, that familiar grinding sound means go ASAP to have it checked out.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
237 Posts
Seems a bit over the top to me, but then we are talking dealer pricing and it is unclear if we are talking both front and rear. Brake servicing is a good thing to have done every year to ensure proper function and to maximize the life of the components. Particularly cars that do lots of city driving with short trips, sit for long periods and are exposed to salt. A seized caliper pin will not only prevent the caliper from working properly, it will wear one pad irregularly as well as that side of the rotor. One goes bad and you have to replace the 4 pads and 2 rotors on the same axle. Really neglect it and the caliper goes bad as well and then you might end replacing two as well as flushing your braking system.
Now you may want to blame Subaru because a tiny rock pierced one of your caliper boots a few months ago and allowed some brine to get into the caliper slide tube, causing it to corrode and seize. Suddenly an $8 caliper pin failure will cost you a complete brake job.
I understand where you are coming from, but I don't appreciate your slamming Subaru quality for something that affects every make of vehicle.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
140 Posts
Manual or CVT? I don't have any experience with the CVT but I wonder if it is still driving the wheels under braking. My previous car (VW) with a manual made it to 80k miles before needing only the rear brakes replaced. That was 80k of European driving at autobahn speeds and numerous trips over the Alps which surely took a toll on the poor brakes. 25k is really really low.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,796 Posts
It's unfortunate that the Canadian warranty does not include brakes and wiper blades which are covered in the US. I will note that as far as I know, the only make of car that does cover these wear items in the US is Subaru.

My '09 Foz ate its rear brake shoes at about 45k miles from new, which I thought was a bit early. 25k miles is very early and I have a feeling the OP is a left foot braker, has bad braking habits, or drives in congested traffic a lot. Alternatively, if the rotors are potato chips, the remedy would be to turn or replace the rotors, and new pads would be a part of this service.

One other thing to note is that the Canadian dollar is worth about 75 cents US, so the brake job cost is the equivalent of $750, not $1000. Still high, but not really that high if rotors were replaced and at $100 off, you were in for $675 US, which feels almost right. Dealer parts and service prices have gotten pretty pricey in recent years so you may want to find another general mechanic to do basic work like brakes.

You are welcome to try a different brand of vehicle, but there is always some disappointment in owning any car. You wore something out...the car did not break down and leave you stranded with an exploded engine or transmission.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Pr.
3 Posts
@TheMiz
You should reach out to Subaru USA about your experience. SUbaru should make it right with accessories and further investigating your issues. It is not normal that at 40K you were having so many big problems.

·
Administrator
12,650 Posts
I find it interesting that the OP has not been here since joining and creating this thread?

@TheMiz I think at the very least an acknowledgement for the input being provided to you is warranted or did you just come here to vent?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts