Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new backup lights from Diode Dynamics arrived so I installed one. In the photo of the car itself it's difficult to see the difference in brightness in a cellphone picture but the DD LED is noticeably brighter than the other LED. I installed only one so I could see the comparison at night. I'll install the other tomorrow.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
276 Posts
Thanks for posting that. Looks like the DD has a wider spread than the Phillips.

Reactions: tom q vaxy

·
Registered
2014 Forester LTD 2.5L Slush-box
26 Posts
@Botnik This is exactly what i plan to do next week while the wife is out of town...it's her car. Being new to the Subi family, how do I go about accessing the existing backup bulb? I did see two screws in the taillight assembly, removing those screws, will the assembly come out?

Jerry

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do I go about accessing the existing backup bulb?
For the 2018, instructions start on page 11-42 of the owner's manual. There are also some videos on YouTube somewhere. Basically take those two screws out, slide the housing towards the back of the car and it will slide off with a click. Don't slide too far because wires are attached. Then using your fingers you unscrew the socket of the light of interest from the housing to access the bulb. When you put the bulb in, try to make it turn on before (press a pedal, click the stalk, move the shifter, etc depending on which light you are working on) you put the housing back on, because the bulb might be in backwards and you'll have to remove it from the socket and turn it around.

The first few times I took the rear light housings off I just stood beside the car and pushed the housing backwards, but this isn't the best way because you will be pushing the housing towards the car, and as it unclicks, the pointy end towards the front will be pushed against the car, scratching the paint. Instead, move the housing straight back without pressing it in any sideways direction. A better way to do it is to take a metal coat hanger and make a small hook in the end. Undo the two screws, and hook the coat hanger around the housing flange where you removed the screws from, and gently pull the housing backwards. You can use a Philips screwdriver or a small socket to remove/reinstall the screws.

You can download the owner's (and other) manuals from somewhere on Subaru's websites. It's much easier to flip through and search the PDF than it is to use the paper manual.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
687 Posts
My new backup lights from Diode Dynamics arrived so I installed one. In the photo of the car itself it's difficult to see the difference in brightness in a cellphone picture but the DD LED is noticeably brighter than the other LED. I installed only one so I could see the comparison at night. I'll install the other tomorrow.

View attachment 521937

View attachment 521938

View attachment 521939

View attachment 521940

View attachment 521937

View attachment 521938

View attachment 521939

View attachment 521940
From the images: I would prefer the Philips if looking at the rear of the car because it has less glare. Not sure based on the garage door pattern. The most important view is on the screen and through the back window and mirrors. Based on this, I would go for the Philips. Brighter is not always better.

GD

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the images: I would prefer the Philips if looking at the rear of the car because it has less glare. Not sure based on the garage door pattern. The most important view is on the screen and through the back window and mirrors. Based on this, I would go for the Philips. Brighter is not always better.
The DD lights let me see a lot more when looking out the back window or when looking at the backup-camera screen.

When backing up during parallel parking, oncoming traffic is supposed to stop and let me get into the space. I'm not sure any other situation is affected by anyone looking at the lights and having their vision possibly affected by glare. These are not high-power lights. They are not bright. They are backup lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts