Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm almost certain this is new vehicle paranoia but I noticed some gear lash type noise that's a bit more prevalent with speeds at 70+ and more noticeable with higher RPMs. Can hear it fairly pronounced to the naked ear, especially when coasting or with engine braking while in S#.

Can't hear it very well over the road noise in this clip I'm sharing, but I'm curious to know if this is characteristic of these CVTs or if this is an early warning for degredation to the point of ending up like another member's woes.

Here's my audio clip...are these faint gear noises characteristic or a concern?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QRg7iP0wWFRrK7VI3

Here's the other member's failing CVT that is much more pronounced.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went back to the dealership today and test drove another FXT that also had around the same mileage as mine and it was noticeably quieter to my ears.....but it's subtle enough of a difference right now that I don't think I could justify attempting to have it corrected. I think I'll just have to ride it out for now and see if it gets worse over time, to which then I'll have it addressed. It definitely sounds like a bearing and I can reproduce it as it follows RPM while in neutral so it's not a differential. My best guess would be it's the input shaft bearing. Will probably take some time to degrade to the point it's addressable.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would at least describe the problem to the dealer and have them check it out - then you have a record of your complaint, in case it get worse later.
Not a bad idea...I just don't want to be seen as the guy who cries wolf in their eyes. Dealerships hate those guys and will fight you on everything if you develop that reputation with them.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I'm spending more time with the FXT I'm starting to learn that the CVT whine is much quieter when cold to the point it's almost inaudible and when it gets good and warm, the noise increases. This explains the difference between the dealership FXT I test drove vs. mine. Theirs was cold, mine was warm. Mine also seemed quieter when I took it out and was a bit louder on the back into the dealership.

As I google I'm reading this increase in whine when hot seems a common characteristic with CVTs in general across multiple makes/models (nissans, hondas, mitsubishis, etc). This certainly makes me feel better.

Example with almost word for word description of what I hear and conditions:
2015/16 CVT whistle/whining/turbo like noise

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,162 Posts
Don't feel too bad - I was in a friend's Mercedes that had more gear whine than a tank. It was "normal"...

·
Registered
2017 FXT
76 Posts
@Scooby24 there are a few threads about this type of weird CVT noise behavior. I've specifically been following XT Transmission/Differential whine?. My CVT makes a "bearing whine sound" between 73-75 mph, increasing, decreasing, and maintaining speed. I notice the noise in I and S modes, as I rarely use S#.

Good idea from @ILuvMySubaru2 for having it documented at the dealership.

As long as my noise doesn't change, I'm going to stick it out and wait until the trans/diff fluid change interval. Hoping new fluid in another few thousand miles will help everything keep running smooth.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
41 Posts
I also hear the same noise at speeds above 70mph. It's fairly annoying as I do a lot of driving in the 70-75mph range. It seems loudest in the middle of the car, not the left or right sides.

Don't think the noise was there originally. It may have started around 3k miles.

I was planning to raise the concern when I take the vehicle in for another item.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread! Your posts make me sure that I'm not just hearing things and give me better ideas what to listen for and to mention to the dealer.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited 2.5 CV
9 Posts
2017 Forester 2.5i Limited w/CVT w/40K miles. Took it into shop several times for excessive drive train noise at 900 - 1,100 rpm. While coasting shift to neutral, still coasting, rpm drops and noise stops. Place Sub back in forward and noise resumes. Shop results: first time - normal noise, the second time - can't hear it, third time noise within spec, fourth time - rotational noise - and is normal.
So Tech Support . . . What's up? Normal?

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Shop results: first time - normal noise, the second time - can't hear it, third time noise within spec, fourth time - rotational noise - and is normal.
So Tech Support . . . What's up? Normal?
Ever changed the GL5 in the diff,? Cheap enough to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BTW: 100% of all service performed at Subaru Dealer location.

If you mean Gear Lube in the diff . . . I suggested that twice regarding both the front and back diff. Whether they did or not is still a question unanswered. Any change did not show up on the completed service invoice. A no change in noise (except getting more noticeable). Perhaps I have misinterpreted your question (GL5)?

FYI: This noise is somewhat like when your washing machine goes into a spin cycle - a very noticeable whirring sound. At times when coming to a complete stop - a 'whoosh' sound will accompany the noise then end.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
BTW: 100% of all service performed at Subaru Dealer location.
That does not make me feel like I am petting a newborn puppy , or riding a unicorn whilst looking at rainbows ;) ... more, the opposite.

Plenty of good, ASE certified mechanics out there, if you'll only look around.

Yup, .GL5 gear lube., plenty of folks here consider 30000 mile interval for the diffs, including myself.

Cannot say whether that will help: only that it should be considered a maintenance " to do"...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Regarding the two diffs . . . Can I say again the noise stops immediately once during a coast the tranny is placed in Neutral. Continue the coast and the noise picks up again. Does that still point to the diffs? Seems the applied torque would be removed at that point.

I'll take your advice, though, and see where it takes me.

My intent here is to troll through this site to find others with the same or similar problem. So far the closest I can get is at another site https://www.nhtsa.gov/.

BTW: Realizing not all complaints are valid - they are in the minds of those that experiencing the same. There are approximately 178 issues regarding the Forester on that site. Surprisingly there are several dealing with the windshield - which I too experienced.

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts