Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is a pretty simple one, I have seen a few guys with coolers for their CVT transmissions, and I'm wondering if that's something worth doing? Will it improve the life span, or is this just a thing if you live in a super hot climate?

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
976 Posts
It's optional if you do a lot of towing. Does it help? Yes.
Does it help the life span of the tranny? Who knows?, You could be just unlucky and just have a crappy tranny from the get to. Or you could have a tank of a tranny. You never know.
It's the same as adding a high performance drop in air filter. It adds a bit of benefit, but will not hurt it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,259 Posts
The cvt has a 100k mile warranty. If you add a cooler you might lose that

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
236 Posts
I had my transmission cooler installed by the dealer where I bought the vehicle.

Nothing voided, lots of peace of mind gained.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
395 Posts
I had my transmission cooler installed by the dealer where I bought the vehicle.

Nothing voided, lots of peace of mind gained.
What dealer did the install? I am in the DC area as well. Also, what model of transmission cooler you bought. Thanks

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
My Subaru dealer is New 2021-2022 Subaru & Used Car Dealership in Leesburg, VA I cannot say enough good things about the dealership. They were straight-up honest about everything when I purchased the vehicle and their maintenance dept is one of the best I have ever done business with.

I purchased the transmission cooler from Subispeed.

I had no idea there were different models of transmission coolers.

If you want to see all the mods I have done to my 2014 Forester XT Touring you can see the build info at the link below

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
959 Posts
@GMD I've been considering installing that same cooler. How much of a difference have you noticed in transmission temps?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Honestly, I have no idea, I do not own any equipment to monitor the temps while driving.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,259 Posts
Unless you are towing there is no guarantee that it will extend temperature life. In fact during winter time it works against you by having the temp too cold.
Save the $$$ and do extra tranny oil changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts