Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 2018 Forester xt touring.

When driving on dirt road I hear this chirping noise, almost like a cricket coming from what seems (but hard to pinpoint) front left side.Might be inside the cabin but it is very hard to tell. As soon as I hit some smoother road (ashpalt) it goes away. It doesn't always do it.
Sometimes I think it is something electrical that rattles/chirps. It's not very loud ( wish it was so it's easier to find) but it's there. I've tried switching electric stuff on and off but nothing seems to make a difference when it's making the noise.
I've even had it stop while driving on the same road where it otherwise would make the noise.
What would this be?

·
Read Only
24 Posts
Typical modern subaru suspension problems most likely (control arms or struts) or your cvt. I have a 2018 xt just like yours. I've had cvt problems where it chirps/surge/stall, control arms and bushings failed, windows roll down randomly, AC failure, eats tires very rapidly, seals fall off, turbo seal blew up because it wouldn't shift, gas mileage is completely aweful. I would do multipoint lubrication maintenance. If it doesn't go away you have a part problem that needs replaced. Subaru will never admit the problem hoping your warranty is up before it breaks. Make sure you document absolutely everything because they will record your complaint visit as an oil change or some nonsense to avoid any responsibility later. Look out for yourself. They are crooks who sell very bad products and spend more advertising than on car. I had around 15 or 20 problems on mine. Some quite serious. I've even had the steering assist fail and almost drive me into a huge pole that would have killed me. Subaru are not as good or cheap as they used to be. I would know having owned 4 of them. I regret this new car purchase more than any ever and it will be my last Subaru. Everything is such garbage that my battery went bad in 8 months, acid corrosion all over. An old open top wet cell inside a $40k car? Thats pathetic! My $33k BMW had a great battery that lasted 5 years. My offer at Carmax last year was $16k on this 2018 Forester XT Touring, a mostly new car with everything working to the best of my ability. Good luck! You will definitely need it.

·
Read Only
24 Posts
Have you tried opening the hood and laying into the struts to make them flex? Use all your weight and try to make the car move up and down to see if you hear it. Maybe even have a friend listen while you flex them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts