Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forestor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 2018 Forester. We bought a subaru gold extended warranty. We usually keep our cars 7+ years and subby already has a bit of a reputation about head gaskets...plus tranny repairs can be $$$$.

Anyway, I just got something in the mail (on the Forester and my Legacy) that Subaru is extending coverage on the cvt tranny for 10 years or 100K miles.

What this all about? Are there tranny issues?

Is that why the contract went up by $300 since 2016? Should I cancel the contract since I now sort of feel like I paid for something they just gave everyone for free?

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
720 Posts
Don't look back. You've bought peace of mind and a nice Subie! :smile2:

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
857 Posts
Well, the mailer you got only refers to the CVT. the warranty you bought is bumper to bumper.
Yes!

Don't look back. You've bought peace of mind and a nice Subie! :smile2:
Well, after owning couple new Subarus, I will never buy the extended warranty or service package again! I've had to push the dealer hard, with my own pictures and mechanical knowledge to replace my ripped lower control arm bushings and then to align it afterwards! Went to pick it up and they didn't mention alignment, so I asked, was told that's not included lol! I told them they didnt' finish the job then, because every time any suspension part is replaced, it should be aligned, especially since I have new expensive tires. They finally relented....again and now it's supposedly done right, but I'm starting to doubt the dealers shop.

IMO better to save the money and don't touch it for anything else, keep an emergency fund and if it goes wrong after regular warranty, pay to fix it at a shop you trust, not necessarily a dealership.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
287 Posts
Yes!

Well, after owning couple new Subarus, I will never buy the extended warranty or service package again! I've had to push the dealer hard, with my own pictures and mechanical knowledge to replace my ripped lower control arm bushings and then to align it afterwards! Went to pick it up and they didn't mention alignment, so I asked, was told that's not included lol! I told them they didnt' finish the job then, because every time any suspension part is replaced, it should be aligned, especially since I have new expensive tires. They finally relented....again and now it's supposedly done right, but I'm starting to doubt the dealers shop.

IMO better to save the money and don't touch it for anything else, keep an emergency fund and if it goes wrong after regular warranty, pay to fix it at a shop you trust, not necessarily a dealership.

I have had to push my dealer hard on alignment issues as well... after purchasing new wider wheels I noticed the passenger side wheel poked out past the fender and the driver side was under the fender by about a 1/8-1/4 inch. Techs said “ No man it’s straight on the alignment machine”. So I walked them around it and asked how can some thing that is set by lasers to be inline, be in spec if I can see with my naked eyes that they are not the same position side to side. Finally got the head honcho of Service to come out, after I told all the techs they are wrong...we had a group all gathered round... boss man agreed with me and found the ENTIRE SUB FRAME had been installed cockeyed! they loosened the entire front sub frame pushing on it from passenger to driver’s side while they torqued it back down... took care of 99% of the problem... but it’s still a tiny bit off.

Rant concluded. Thank you for your time and consideration.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
24 Posts
I bought it too. Trust me, there will be other stuff that breaks after 36K and you will be glad you have it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts