Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Chalking another one up on the L column.
Got some bird dropping etchings on driver side door.
Bought Goo Gone Automotive and Meguiars Ultimate Compound.

Seemed like it was topical and not fracturing.

Goo Gone and Meguiars didn't work by hand application. I used the finest sandpaper I had, 1000 grit from Gundam modeling. Sanded a little circle of bare metal :sick::sick::eek:

Can this be fixed by a detailer or do I need it resprayed? Can you just repaint a spot?

Thanks... not liking the new Subarus too much, check my post history....

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
248 Posts
"I used sandpaper and ruined my paint, Subaru sucks." is certainly an interesting take.

A body shop should be able to repaint and blend it for you. I just had a bad scratch on my quarter panel done for $200. (The car was in the body shop for a deer hit anyway, so that may have affected pricing.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lool ya I'm a hater for sure naw I was just dusting off from my battle with the rear sway bar and now this.

Body shop as in any body shop/mechanic or like a paint specific shop? Sorry not experienced with paint, first time even knowing about polishing compound and wax.

I tried to seal the bare metal with Turtle Wax for now. Hope that helps it not get worse.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Well, your other problems have nothing to do with the resulting damage from a bird bomb. This can happen on any car.

You should have stuck with the Ultimate Compound to see how that worked out before wetsanding IMO. .....assuming you did wetsand with the appropriate product?

I can already see that the paint is beyond repair in that area but that is why I bought one of these long ago. A cheap 30x microscope with light:

Better to see what you're working in a scenario like this to understand whether it's even salvageable before wasting effort or possibly making things worse.

I had a bird bomb on my wife's '99 Civic she bought off her Mom before we got married. The car was only a couple years old and her Mom left the bird poop on the car long enough that it etched a foot and a half long portion of paint on the hood of various thickness down its length.

Short of a repaint of the panel, all I could do is polish what I could to help reduce some of the appearance of the blemish and then properly maintain the paint from there. ....including using a sealant to help mitigate future occurrences from happening.

Well, the good news is that it only appears (from the picture) that you struck through to the primer, not the bare panel. You will still need to use touch up in that area you sanded down though. As for the rest, it will need to be sanded down and resprayed if you want fixed properly.

There are some folks / companies that sometimes deal in mobile chip / scratch repair. ....sometimes doubling as PDR techs, bumper deformation repairs, etc. Some of these folks have the talent and equipment ot respray sections of panels without the use of a body shop or their facilities. Your damage may be a good candidate for this given the relatively small affected area. You may want to see if there is a reputable service near you.

Anyhow, once done I would advise using a good LSP (last step product; wax, sealant, coating) to help mitigate this kind of resulting damage. It's not a guarantee to stop this from happening again but it helps provide a sort of sacrificial layer that may be enough to keep the acidic nature of the bird bomb from doing much (if any) damage to the paint. I would also advise keeping a towel and spray bottle of detailer handy so you can remove things like this ASAP. the longer they stay on, the more damage they can do. ....because even after they dry, rewetting from morning dew, etc. can reactivate the components in the poop that can cause damage.

There's no way to tell what bird bomb is more damaging than the next until the damage is done. Some can be really caustic while others may never leave a mark. It's best to do what you can to protect that paint.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium 6SP
42 Posts
My preference would be to use a little touch-up paint in the actual burn through area (or hire someone with knowledge and a steady hand to do it) and try to adopt good habits with cleaning your car. As Kean mentioned above, keep some microfiber towels and a detailing spray handy to "gently" wipe away the bird and tree bombs asap. The bottom line is, it will likely happen again. Respraying a panel/area of your car every time you get scratch or bird dropping just isn't practical for a daily driver. And it's likely the resprayed area will not hold up like your factory paint in the long run. Protecting that original paint is paramount!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
1,039 Posts
I highly recommend if your car is getting bird-bombed to get a quality car cover.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
13 Posts
Get a paint pen that matches your vehicles color. Dab some of that on (dab while the paint is wet, avoid painting it on in rows as it will be easier to see).
I wouldn't recommend wet sanding and hand buffing once it's dry like I normally would since the paint around the area is probably already thinned out.

For future reference, only wet sand with 3000 grit and hand buff after. 1000 eats paint quick 😀.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts