Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport, CVT
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will send you what I received about Class Action Suit/ Settlement for Premature Wear, Battery extended warranty. What year is your model?

·
Registered
2018 Forester
8 Posts
Anyone else get a postcard in the mail regarding a class action suit for a draining battery issue? I got one for my legacy and my forester. Interestingly enough at just under 3 years old my legacy battery left me stranded and I had a replaced. And similar vein around the same period of time my forester battery went and I had it replaced. I think that was last year. Am I affected by this battery drain issue? Has it been fixed? Should we be worried about this? Would I be entitled to compensation? Does anyone know anything about this?

It mentions a software update? I wonder if I called the dealer if they could tell me if I needed this or had it done?

Per the post card
However, free software updates (11-174-17R and 11-176-17) were already available for certain vehicles years before the Subaru battery drain lawsuit was filed.

The only reason I am concerned is I never had a car who's original OEM battery only lasted 3 years. BOTH CRAPPED OUT AT 3YEARS. Further I don't want to be left stranded again.

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5i-S (Touring)
329 Posts

Based on the settlement agreement, each of the 13 named plaintiffs will receive $4,000, and the attorneys who represented those owners will receive more than $4 million.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
6,210 Posts
Yes...lawyers take everything. How does anyone know if their car affected.... Should my battery last in longer than 3 years? How do I know the new one is not gonna c*** out.
Batteries generally are climate sensitive. Those that live up north should expect to get more than 3 years out of a battery. Those that live in hot climates, such as TX, AZ, NM. Are lucky if the battery last more than 3 years. Sometimes 2 years is all you'll get.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
8 Posts
Live in PA. After reading the sucker I guess the only way I'll know for sure it's either ask at my next oil change if my car is effected which who knows what they'll say or see if my battery dies again in about 2 years.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport, CVT
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep that’s it. Dealer told me to call Subaru, tell them I have documented history of this issue (from Service dept), get an authorization # and dealer will open a claim. Then I can schedule the battery replacement, battery is anywhere from $250-$375 so I’ll take it! And since I’m buying this car at lease end, going to look for the gadget on Amazon that will disable this start/stop nonsense 😉

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
2,208 Posts
Subaru is very proud of their OEM EFB style batteries (enhanced flooded batteries) ... The sell for a premium, and until recently, not many auto parts houses sold EFBs.

Funny thing… few folks with battery-related issues that post on this forum about them who also replace those EFBs with AGM batteries continue to post about battery related problems afterward.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
1 Posts
By wonderful coincidence, the post card arrived on the same day that my 2018 Forester refused to start due to a very drained battery. However, we have no history of battery problems with this car, so I don't know what to think.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
848 Posts
We got the postcard. No issues so far on our '17. The battery is a Subaru OEM replacement installed when the dealer took it in on trade so I'm not sure if this money grab settlement even applies to me.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,548 Posts
No battery issues here. But then I replaced the pathetically low CCA Subaru OEM battery with an Odyssey Optima Red Top just weeks after I purchased the car. :unsure:

And I a few months later, I modified the car so it would actually charge the battery instead of the "smart" charging algorithm that Subaru programmed.

EDIT: Looks like I'm SOL on the settlement since I realized that a 390 CCA battery was inadequate before I had problems. :rolleyes:
EDIT 2: It's an Optima Red Top.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
1 Posts
2017 Forester, first battery replaced 2018 by the dealer (2 years old), 2nd replacement in 2021. Both times stranded on the road. So looks like my battery only lasts 2-3 years. Already filed a claim.
I was wondering the same about the software update too.

·
Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
630 Posts
I received the postcard a few days ago. Our 2017 Forester indeed left us stranded with a dead battery on a road trip to a critical consulate appointment that had taken us months to book in advance. We would have missed it if the consulate hadn't been graceful and accepted our late arrival. We were traveling with a 2-year-old, and it was beyond stressful, to say the least. Battery died suddenly. If I remember correctly, it was the original one, and we've had the car for 3.5 years at that time.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts