Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all 🥃
So I bought a Subie Foz 2018 used from Subaru of glendale with 28,000 miles. I've owned in the past all kinds of makes. From Kia, Toyota, Honda, Lexus, BMW, Chevrolet ect. I can't remember changing all these parts on such a newr car/SUV. It started with the Battery. At 4 years old had to replace. Then it was the A/C Compressor which was about a grand including labor and freon. It uses some sort of newer freon BTW. Now when I can't get on the Freeway past 50 mph because I have to change the front Lower Control arms! The bushings are shot and the mechanic said I might as well swap out the shocks because they've seen better days. I called Subaru of glendale and they said I n longer have a warranty so I'm paying out of pocket for all these repairs 😔 I'm starting to think Subarus at least mine is a 🍋 Lemon 🤷‍♂️ oh and now the head unit remembers my phone when it feels like it. Otherwise I have to reset it. I just bought a Teyes CC3 Head unit. A JL audio amplifier and a Sundown SUA3500 amplifier. Hopefully this will make me feel a little better about all these issues 🤦‍♀️ what do you guys think?
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
5,549 Posts
If you live in Glendale, AZ any car battery is going to die in 4 years or less due heat so that's not surprising at all

But it seems like the previous owner just drove it and did not maintain the vehicle and knew issues were there and sold or traded it in. And you picked up their mess.

·
Registered
2018 LTD, 2023 Sport on order
144 Posts
Used cars from reputable dealers usually come with a full mechanical checklist inspection, as well as 90 day warranty.
How long ago did you purchase it before these failures started?

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
1,619 Posts
There is a TSB about the LCA bushings.

Not a warranty or recall issue though so you are still on the hook for replacement.

It may be cheaper to just get new LCA assemblies than paying labor to have new bushings installed. They have to remove and replace them to replace the bushings anyway.

I don't know if new ball joints come with an LCA assembly or not, but if so, that's one less thing to worry about.

Between the worn out bushings, and if the struts are actually at the end of their useful life, the ball joints have been taking on more movement than normal.

If new LCA's can take care of both bushings and ball joints in a simple LCA replacement, that's going to be the best value. The struts could be done a few months later to spread out the cost, as they need not be removed to replace the LCA's.

Unless your mechanic is willing to discount some for a package deal.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Used cars from reputable dealers usually come with a full mechanical checklist inspection, as well as 90 day warranty.
How long ago did you purchase it before these failures started?
It's a reputable dealer. I bought it September of 2021. It's July of 2022 now. And all these issues just Started happening out of the blue 😕 oh I forgot to mention that my driver side view mirror is loose and I had to put some painters tape so it doesn't fall. 🤦‍♀️ embarrassing to say the least.

Not a warranty or recall issue though so you are still on the hook for replacement.

It may be cheaper to just get new LCA assemblies than paying labor to have new bushings installed. They have to remove and replace them to replace the bushings anyway.

I don't know if new ball joints come with an LCA assembly or not, but if so, that's one less thing to worry about.

Between the worn out bushings, and if the struts are actually at the end of their useful life, the ball joints have been taking on more movement than normal.

If new LCA's can take care of both bushings and ball joints in a simple LCA replacement, that's going to be the best value. The struts could be done a few months later to spread out the cost, as they need not be removed to replace the LCA's.

Yes Sir. I'm about to purchase this. Let's see how much a Suspension shop will try and take me for, lol. After that definitely an alignment.

Yes Sir, going to purchase these. Moog is a good brand and made in Amerca. 🇺🇸 after this it'll be a definite alignment. 🤷‍♂️
Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Super Moderator
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
3,843 Posts
I, too, have a 2018 but with 89k miles. I pre-emptively replaced the battery after 3.5 years because I know that most batteries don't last much longer here in the hot desert. Recently, my A/C compressor failed and was replaced. No issues with my head unit or lower control arm bushings.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
5,549 Posts
If you do any suspension work that requires disconnecting the strut from the knuckle or if you disconnect the outer tie rod from the knuckle, the answer is "YES you need an alignment". Even if you mark the camber bolts and count the number of turns on the outer tie rod, there is not guarantee that you'll get the parts back on to the exact "position".

So can you get the LCA removed and reinstalled without touching the camber bolts and knuckle? And do you have to disconnect the outer tie rod from the knuckle?

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring Sepia Bronze
279 Posts
I did a 1” lift when I replaced my control arms. I figured why not while I’m in there already. Tie rod ends were out of adjustment so the steering wheel wasn’t straight. So yes you should get an alignment. I really had to beat on that ball joint to free it from the rust too.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
1,619 Posts
A lift will change the alignment. Theoretically if the alignment was good before the LCA bushings failed, installing new ones should bring it back to spec.

In a perfect world.

It might be close enough to get by. But it may not be perfect.

Perfect depends on how well the alignment tech gets it. In some cases it might be better to bolt them in and leave it. :ROFLMAO:

I would replace them, see if it steers better, and keep a close eye on the tires. If it is good, save the alignment for when the struts are replaced. Unless you're going ahead with struts while you're there.

Otherwise you're paying for two alignments. Some places will let you redo the alignment x amount of times within a specific period for the initial cost. That may be worth checking into. Then you can do the struts and get it aligned again for no charge.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
73 Posts
I think the response from the dealer varies from one to another. My 2015 has just under 60k miles and started making a popping noise around the front wheels at take off or slow turns in parking lots. I took it to dealer and they inspected, came back and found front axels bad, PLUS control arm bushings bad and leaking front tranny seals. They covered it all under warranty even though I was outside the time frame. I feel extremely lucky and treated better than the other time I was in a similar situation with a different car company. You could cal Subaru USA and plead your case, that is what they are there for. Best of Luck with your Subi

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Hi all 🥃
So I bought a Subie Foz 2018 used from Subaru of glendale with 28,000 miles. I've owned in the past all kinds of makes. From Kia, Toyota, Honda, Lexus, BMW, Chevrolet ect. I can't remember changing all these parts on such a newr car/SUV. It started with the Battery. At 4 years old had to replace. Then it was the A/C Compressor which was about a grand including labor and freon. It uses some sort of newer freon BTW. Now when I can't get on the Freeway past 50 mph because I have to change the front Lower Control arms! The bushings are shot and the mechanic said I might as well swap out the shocks because they've seen better days. I called Subaru of glendale and they said I n longer have a warranty so I'm paying out of pocket for all these repairs 😔 I'm starting to think Subarus at least mine is a 🍋 Lemon 🤷‍♂️ oh and now the head unit remembers my phone when it feels like it. Otherwise I have to reset it. I just bought a Teyes CC3 Head unit. A JL audio amplifier and a Sundown SUA3500 amplifier. Hopefully this will make me feel a little better about all these issues 🤦‍♀️ what do you guys think?
View attachment 570370
Battery is a wear item, 4 years is a good life.
AC Compressor had a recall, my 2017 was free replacement. Also a warranty extension.
LCA is a random off item, so that sounds like one unexpected problem.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts