Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. My AC just went out on my 2018 Forester. I used to have the Gold Plus warranty up until 800 miles ago. Turns out I paid way too much for it too, after poking around this forum 🤦‍♀️. I'm just curious if anyone has had any luck with the dealership working with you after a warranty became newly expired? Do they make exceptions or negotiate with fees?

I also have little faith in the dealership I've worked with in the past, so I'm super hesitate going back to them. Last time I went there, they told me I needed my brakes replaced when I didn't and messed up my oil pan which I had to get replaced. I'm just wondering if it's best to give them a chance to remedy prior issues with my current situation or just forget about them, save time and energy, and take care of this elsewhere where I have more faith in the shop?

Any advise and/or insight will be greatly appreciated. TIA!

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
259 Posts
Why even consider going back to a place that has bad mechanics AND tried to rip you off? You can try calling Subaru corporate and ask them, they owe you nothing but it's worth a shot. I'm curious, did you ever use your extended warranty for anything?

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why even consider going back to a place that has bad mechanics AND tried to rip you off? You can try calling Subaru corporate and ask them, they owe you nothing but it's worth a shot. I'm curious, did you ever use your extended warranty for anything?
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. I never once used the warranty. I honestly didn't even think I needed it, but the sales lady convince me since my car came with the Eyesight Tech.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm just curious, what "Gold Plus" warranty plan did you have that expired 800 miles ago?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,172 Posts
It could well be that the Gold+ warranty expired at the normal end of the warranty; remember that they're for years OR miles. So it could be 7 years or 70,000 miles or 8 years, 80,000 miles, etc... So it may be that our poster hit the mileage mark.

As for the original question - a call to SoA doesn't hurt. But what is it about your AC that is no longer working? The very vague "my ac went out". What went out? The compressor? The condenser? just needs a charge? What?

As to the commentary about the brakes - the Subaru dealers often start suggesting brakes at a certain point based upon a thickness of pads. Just because they recommend it, doesn't mean you need to get it done. Just like if you went to the doctor and he said your heart is wearing out and you need a transplant. Well, you'd probably go for a 2nd opinion, right? Same way for repairs like brakes. Just go and get a 2nd opinion.

When I'd taken my 2014 Forester in for some maintenance work, they suggested I may need brakes soon. So I declined at that point (as they suggested front and rear pads AND rotors as they prefer to put on new rotors vs turning the existing ones) and they also suggested brakes well before the minimum thickness. Why? They make money. So instead, I went to a local shop and had them inspect my brakes and was told that I still had good enough pad depth and the rotors would be able to be turned and not replaced. And the full job was quoted at just about half of the dealer's price.

We may never see our poster again - as she joined, created this post and has no other history and may just have come here to vent.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring
6 Posts
Wasn't there a TSB for the AC compressor or condenser on Foresters? I'd go to a different dealer and ask them to look it up. I had mine done at the dealership because it wasn't blowing cold air and they made a "goodwill repair" for free - I knew that was bulls*** because I'd read it was a common problem on Foresters. Turns out there was a TSB issued about it, but dealers don't want to make it well-known as it's a loss (man hours) for them.

It's a common ailment - ignore what they tell you. Mention you're active on Foz forums and KNOW it's a common pain point. Don't let them snow you.

LINK: ('14-'18) - 2017 - AC Condenser Problems...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts