Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
"Double Campaign" Weekend: WRB21 A/C Condenser Replacement & STARLINK 3G Upgrade

I'm still thrown by there not being a '14-'18 subforum, so move as appropriate.

On Friday I took our 2018 Limited in for the two Service Campaigns. Not technically recalls; more like TSB's on steroids.
3G Sunset and WRG-16 notices
WRB-21 Corroding Condenser

I expressed concern about the possibility of them bricking the DCM, but they claim that they have finally gotten the procedure down pat, limit it to 2 per day and employ a dedicated team doing it in a 'quiet' bay. But if it didn't work, I could keep the rental until they could get a replacement (none in stock locally, and on backorder from SOA).

I had already verified that I had a G010 condenser, so knew it had to go. Again, they do a lot of them and have the process down. Out comes the grill, the top radiator mounts get removed and the radiator tilts backwards making it possible to pull the condenser out the top after removing a few fasteners and two freon fittings on the front right. Evacuate and recharge.

Late Friday they called. Both tasks successful. The DCM took the reflash, presumably transferring control from the old 3G transmitter to the 4G chipset already built in but switched off. I was a bit worried about the need for a dash teardown, but that wasn't necessary. All done thru the OBD port.

The condenser install looked cosmetically good. It looked like new foam around the perimeter, and fasteners all back in place.

On the way to the dealership on Friday morning my center grill AC thermometer was reading around 46' F at best on recirc, max cool fan on low. On the way home Saturday morning with generally similar overall external conditions and settings I was seeing around 42' F air from the same register, so maybe the old one was already leaking? Time will tell.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
63 Posts
@Fibber2 I too have these 2 service to do at the dealership and was worried. Thanks for letting us know your experience. This assures me a bit. My last 2 experiences at the dealership were not good ones.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
63 Posts
Had the both of following completed last week:
Starlink Safety & Security - 3G Network Retirement
Recall WRB-21

No issue with the Starlink upgrade.

After replacing the condenser and recharging the system tech found AC compressor making noise. Diagnose as compressor ran dry due to leak at AC condenser. Replace compressor under goodwill warranty.

Drop off the vehicle 8:00 AM and because of the compressor replacement it did take the dealership +1 day to get everything done; pickup vehicle 10:00 AM next day. I was provided with loaner.

Happy with work.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester Touring
13 Posts
Had my condenser replaced 2 weeks ago under the campaign and had not had a chance to test the AC, weather to cold, however this last weekend went to use the AC and noticed the compressor sounded like it was really struggling to pump. The compressor wasn't really noisy but more just sounded like it was really working hard almost like the system was overfilled, might have to make another visit to the dealer to have it checked out. I really have no faith in the local dealer, not the first time things have been screwed up.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured I'd post a short update on the HVAC system. I'm pretty convinced that it is cooling better now (achieving a lower center air vent temperature) that it was before the condenser replacement. So maybe it was already leaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts