Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2017 XT Touring vs 2019 Sport

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Nasarog 
#1 ·
Howdy folks

First post and first time owning a Subaru. Although my SO has a 2015 3.6 Outback and sister has new Ascent, so not totally new to the brand.

I picked up a 2017 XT Touring about 2 weeks ago. I have been enjoying the vehicle with a few exceptions. I find the seats to be pretty uncomfortable. They are very hard and I just can’t seem to get adjusted comfortably. Pretty disappointing giving the Touring package. I have also found the gas mileage to be disappointing.

Even though I have the top of the line package and coveted turbo engine, I keep thinking about the 2019 Sport that I test drove. I love the exterior look and feel of the Sport (Although I’m not crazy about the interior) Obviously it’s not as nice as my current XT Touring and not as fast, but I probably don’t need some of the fancy options anyway..

I would be doing mostly highway driving mixed with about 40% city driving, with weekends in the mountains.

Would it be foolish to get rid of the XT?? I know enthusiast rave about them. Which vehicle would have a better resale value?

Has anyone else gone through a similar decision and can shed some light on my situation??

I would appreciate any feedback regarding the topic. Thanks everyone!

See less See more
#4 ·
If the '19 Sport will make you happier, I say go for it. It's your money.

I'll tell you what, if they ever bring back the Turbo, I'd trade in my '18 XT and upgrade in a heartbeat. The new global platform and Apple Carplay alone is worth the upgrade. The only thing i don't like about the new Forester's are the funky lobster claw taillights and lack of Turbo. But to each their own.

#6 ·
In my test drive of the 2019 Sport, it didnt feel that slow TBH. The engine did seem to have struggle to reach into the higher RPM's to get up to speed.

My 17' XT feels much lighter on its feet...But then again its a smaller vehicle as well

I feel like the only time I would really miss the turbo is on mountain drives and highway merging. Even then, Im sure its not that big of a deal.

Anyone with a 19' sport comment on those driving situations?

Im also thinking about blacking out some of the chrome, wheels and grill to match more of the style of the new sport. Maybe Im just hung up on the latest and greatest appeal

#7 ·
In my test drive of the 2019 Sport, it didnt feel that slow TBH. The engine did seem to have struggle to reach into the higher RPM's to get up to speed.

My 17' XT feels much lighter on its feet...But then again its a smaller vehicle as well

I feel like the only time I would really miss the turbo is on mountain drives and highway merging. Even then, Im sure its not that big of a deal.

Anyone with a 19' sport comment on those driving situations?

Im also thinking about blacking out some of the chrome, wheels and grill to match more of the style of the new sport. Maybe Im just hung up on the latest and greatest appeal
I've test driven a 2019 Forester before and even though it didn't feel that slow, it still felt like a dog compared to the XT. I guess I got spoiled by the Turbo.

But the power on it should be more than sufficient for most people. This is a CUV after all, not a WRX/STI.

For me and other XT owners though, we do want to be able to have a little bit of fun when getting the groceries lol

#8 ·
I have 2018 Chevy Corvette Z06 ( 650 horsepower / 650 torque supercharged ) 0-60 mph in less than 3 seconds... I also have a 2015 BMW X5 335 HP / 345 TQ... 0-60 in 4.7 seconds.
I had a 2018 crosstrek which I traded in for the 2020 Forester Sport I picked up last Saturday.. My Z06 is my weekend summer only fun car... my X5 is my family road trip car and my forester sport is my commuting weekend adventure car. If you are looking for a "Fun" car... IMO you are in the wrong class of cars. If you are looking for a utility grocery getter, then IMO the latest Subaru forester sport is a great vehicle. It's not fast but it is capable, and from a guy who drives fast cars, I can safely say that I have no issues in passing cars or driving up hills with this car. This Forester is not meant to race other cars... its meant mainly for utility and capability.

#9 ·
We have both - a 2017 XT Touring and a 2019 Touring. We really like the 2019 Tourings improved ride, and Android Auto. We recently took it on a 3000 mile road trip to New England and the Canadian Martime Provinces. We also really like the power of the 2017 XT. It is just a lot of fun to drive. The 2019 is better suited for long road trips, especially with the better mileage. Will keep the XT until turbo version is offered

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone

I agree, the XT is fun. S# has put a smile on my face everytime. Although, I was never in the market for a "fast" car. Im an SUV kinda dude. The peppy feel of the XT is an interesting mix

At the moment, I am spending more time on the highway with a new work commute than I had in previous years. Im only averaging 22 mpg with the XT......it might make more sense to have the 19' and be more fuel efficient. If I wanna go fast, maybe just drive the S.O's 3.6 outback.

Im thinking I might wait to see if Subaru has mad any changes to the 2021 Sport

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone

I agree, the XT is fun. S# has put a smile on my face everytime. Although, I was never in the market for a "fast" car. Im an SUV kinda dude. The peppy feel of the XT is an interesting mix

At the moment, I am spending more time on the highway with a new work commute than I had in previous years. Im only averaging 22 mpg with the XT......it might make more sense to have the 19' and be more fuel efficient. If I wanna go fast, maybe just drive the S.O's 3.6 outback.

Im thinking I might wait to see if Subaru has mad any changes to the 2021 Sport
Curious where you live? The XT gets not so great mpgs on winterblend fiel. Once it warms up and we switch back to summer blend that number will shoot up.

I would keep the XT personally I like having the extra power on hand. All though I do agree it will never be a racecar. Its a great compromise as you can have a little fun with it and also haul the family in it.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Interesting. Well that may have killed my theory on the Mpgs.

I still vote keep the XT. My wife has a 2013 2.5 premium and that thing does not have enough power to get out of its own way. We road tripped to Colorado in it a few years back and it struggled hard getting up the mountains.

But at the end of the day whatever you feel makes the most sense is all that matters.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.