Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I recently purchased my first Subaru in Oct. I was so excited, but it has turned out to be a nightmare. I bought a Certified Pre-owned and the first week of driving it 3 times (less than 50 mi) they had to replace the transmission. It had snowed and all the lights went on including the at fuel temp light.
Now, every time it snows, multiple warning lights go off either immediately, or 10 min into the drive. The first time they just reset the computer, the next time they told me it was because I used costco fuel (at this point I had only filled up my car 1 time). Then they said it was a loose gas cap. Then it was that it needed a computer upgrade, now they have it again and I’ve heard nothing back. I’ve had to take in my car about every 2 wks since I’ve gotten it. It’s been so frustrating, and I’m wondering if anyone else had had this happen?
I lose all the safety features I bought the car for when this happens. They tell me it’s fine to drive but now it has even started shuddering at stop lights.
Here are the lights from the latest incident.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,892 Posts
@TatorTots I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Not specific to snow, but perhaps this thread will help:
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@2.5x_sleeper Thank You!
That’s the post I had read when all the problems initially started. I think it’s a little different but still could be the issue! At this point I have no idea. I forgot to mention in my post that when they read the code it’s the fuel too rich one. Which is why they were telling me not to buy costco fuel, then they said that code really meant it needed an update. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
549 Posts
I could be mistaken but... I suspect that all of the warning lights are triggered when you get the "Check Engine" light. So, don't give up hope!

I'll cross my fingers for you that they find the cause soon!

·
Registered
2016 Forester
24 Posts
I was going on a trip and I had a loose gas cap due to filling up in jersey where the guy has to fill it up for you and he did not tighten my gas cap. All my lights went on and didnt know what it was for. It disables everything. I was scrambling to find a dealer since it was memorial weekend and all the subaru dealerships either closed early or did not have any mechanics in. Luckily 1 dealership had a mechanic hang around because he didnt have cable at home and at work they had a huge tv and he was watching soccer. He told me that subaru disables all the features on purpose so you will being the car to fix right away. I think that's stupid. A loose gas cap and you disable my eyesight, hill assist and front collision braking.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,788 Posts
I was going on a trip and I had a loose gas cap due to filling up in jersey where the guy has to fill it up for you and he did not tighten my gas cap. All my lights went on and didnt know what it was for. It disables everything. I was scrambling to find a dealer since it was memorial weekend and all the subaru dealerships either closed early or did not have any mechanics in. Luckily 1 dealership had a mechanic hang around because he didnt have cable at home and at work they had a huge tv and he was watching soccer. He told me that subaru disables all the features on purpose so you will being the car to fix right away. I think that's stupid. A loose gas cap and you disable my eyesight, hill assist and front collision braking.
That's one way to turn off all of the various assists.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L 6 speed auto
136 Posts
Have you had your battery checked? A weak battery could be the cause of your issues. Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: They still have my car, and are now saying it’s due to the exhaust pipe, and that it is a new recall. Curious as to why it only happens when it snows, not in much colder temps we’ve had with no snow. Apparently just waiting for the part to arrive now... So we’ll see next time it snows if that was the true cause!

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New recall affecting the exhaust pipe? First I have heard of that.
I thought maybe they were making it up, so I looked it up while I was on hold with them for an hour. Seems legit? Although I’m not entirely convinced it’s the problem.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
549 Posts
One would think you could hear leakage like that!

If it solves your issue, great...

(fingers crossed)

It sounds like an issue that could be resolved by tightening said nuts, no?

Weird...

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,711 Posts
I received my recall letter arrived in mid November from Subaru Canada. Maybe it was just Canadian Subarus affected, at first. America must have just joined in on the fun.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally got my Blubaru back on tues, then that night a crazy drunk lady jumped in front of my car so now my hood and windshield are all smashed up. I’m starting to think this car is cursed. Hopefully they fixed the issues this time, I guess we can see once it snows again if the exhaust pipe was the true culprit!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts