Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT HT-CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am in need for help!!!

I am having a quite frustrating problem on my windshield and pretty much on every other window (rear is the worse) : Stains.

These stains are not what I could see on other cars like hard water stains, as these stains a totally invisible on sunny days and ONLY appears when it rains and when the wiper blades are on (wiping). Here below a picture, I took when cleaning my windshield with ArmorAll Glass Cleaner.

This turns me mad and this windshiled is new (had to cange it because of someone broke it), and there are no rain reppeleant or other wax on it. I tried clay and did not change anything. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
406 Posts
It is very much possible that there's some residue of some kind on your windshield. It could be a bit of silicone that was left on the installer's fingers that just left a film that repels moisture.
I would try with a grease/oil cutting cleaner. Like spray nine. You could also try something like rubbing alcohol.
(I was going to suggest brake-clean as a grease-cutting chemical, but I don't think I have ever used it on glass. I assume it would be safe.but can't guarantee it, so... I wouldn't use brake-clean unless someone else has confirmed it is safe to use on a windshield)

Since you just had the windshield replaced, it would make sense to go back to the shop that installed the new one and ask them about it.

·
Registered
2017 XT HT-CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is very much possible that there's some residue of some kind on your windshield. It could be a bit of silicone that was left on the installer's fingers that just left a film that repels moisture.
I would try with a grease/oil cutting cleaner. Like spray nine. You could also try something like rubbing alcohol.
(I was going to suggest brake-clean as a grease-cutting chemical, but I don't think I have ever used it on glass. I assume it would be safe.but can't guarantee it, so... I wouldn't use brake-clean unless someone else has confirmed it is safe to use on a windshield)

Since you just had the windshield replaced, it would make sense to go back to the shop that installed the new one and ask them about it.
Thanks for your reply. I will look into this but I can tell you that these are not something left by any fingers as the number of spots increases over time and, in the case of the rear windows there are literally thousands of them.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
327 Posts
Do you go to those automatic car wash places at all? The clear coat sealer and protectants they use can leave a nasty film on your glass. I had this happen to me and it took multiple applications of heavy duty rubbing compound to get it all off.

It's hand wash with a foam cannon from now on.

StanF

·
Registered
2017 XT HT-CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you go to those automatic car wash places at all? The clear coat sealer and protectants they use can leave a nasty film on your glass. I had this happen to me and it took multiple applications of heavy duty rubbing compound to get it all off.

It's hand wash with a foam cannon from now on.

StanF
I am not going to an automatic car wash, but it is a place where people will handwash your car with a "karcher" and comes with "Soapy" water. Now what heavy-duty rubbing compound are you talking about? And did you do it with a machine or by hand?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
327 Posts
I am not going to an automatic car wash, but it is a place where people will handwash your car with a "karcher" and comes with "Soapy" water. Now what heavy-duty rubbing compound are you talking about? And did you do it with a machine or by hand?
I used plain old turtle wax heavy duty rubbing compound. I applied it by hand and worked it in real hard to get the film off the windshield. It took four applications in total to finally get my windshield clean where the rain would wipe off without leaving any streaks or smears or stains.

StanF

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
406 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I will look into this but I can tell you that these are not something left by any fingers as the number of spots increases over time and, in the case of the rear windows there are literally thousands of them.
Wait a minute!

the number of spots increase?

Now, I understand that this is an online community and you can ask questions but... How do you expect us to know how spots magically appear on your windows?

·
Registered
2017 XT HT-CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait a minute!

the number of spots increase?

Now, I understand that this is an online community and you can ask questions but... How do you expect us to know how spots magically appear on your windows?
Over time, and since I have this car and after a 2nd windshield, these spots gradually increased in number. I am confident that these come from the environment where my car is parked (I only use the car the weekend or a few times per month). There is also a railroad close to where the car is park and it is very possible that an accumulation of factors (Rain, dust, whatever) creat these spots.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
219 Posts
If the usual cleaners such as glass cleaner, acetone, alcohol, road tar remover, goof off, etc are not working, you might try something alkali, like TSP (trisodium phosphate) or Borax in water.

·
Registered
2017 XT HT-CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, this was solved today.

I spent a lot of time yesterday searching for a Pro-shop that would help. It cost me 60 USD (equivalent) for rear and front and no more stain. The staff told: Oil film... I am dumbfounded. I tried everything I could think of. I tried to ask what product they used but everything was in white containers so could not get the name of the product, but now I know that is quite affordable to fix and they can do it for cheap or I can find the best product around and do it myself!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts