Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating getting the Wheel Arch moldings for my 2017 FXT

does anyone have a set they had paint matched and installed on their FXT ? if so, can you post a shot of them installed.

it ran across my mind today when I saw a TRD OFFROAD taco and a TRD SPORT taco on the road next to each other at a light, same color. where the offroad has fender flairs in black trim/plastic and the sport fender flairs were painted to match from factory.

thanks

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,355 Posts
the super duper rare White :grin2:

Without implying race...white is right. I have a white 18 XT with the Black mouldings...have blacked out pretty much all trim. Looks great IMO.

White on white isn't my bag, so I can't help you there, but get the mouldings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without implying race...white is right. I have a white 18 XT with the Black mouldings...have blacked out pretty much all trim. Looks great IMO.

White on white isn't my bag, so I can't help you there, but get the mouldings.
Oh man I was thinking of blacking out all the trim also. grill, and window trim and side skirt moldings. you gotta post a pic.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,355 Posts
Some of those pics are my 17 XT...Others my current 18 XT. I will blacking out a little more this spring, as I have some ideas to improve aesthetics.

But yes.....buy the mouldings

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of those pics are my 17 XT...Others my current 18 XT. I will blacking out a little more this spring, as I have some ideas to improve aesthetics.

NICE!!!! blacking out is a must do. looks like I have a busy weekend ahead

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,355 Posts
NICE!!!! blacking out is a must do. looks like I have a busy weekend ahead

haha Yup. IMO the white XT's look amazing with all black trim/wheels etc. It's too cold right now, but I have a lot of further plans going forward once it warms up.

If you decide to plastidip the chrome trim along the bottom of the windows...hit me up, as it is difficult and I learned some tricks through trial and error.

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
San Jose here too, I just ordered the OEM kit from subaruonlineparts.com, but it does say for 2016 and above XT. Not sure why it wouldn't fit a 2015, is there a different bumper?
Shipped and arrived without problems, after install it looks great, highly recommended

·
Registered
2017 FXT CVT
48 Posts

Nice ride. Love the blacked out grill. How do you like your methods? I installed the factory wheel arch moldings on my also very rare white 17 XT just last week. I’m looking to black out my window trim and the chrome on the rocker trim (love the Touring features, not a fan of the chrome). Mind if I pm you and pick your brain on how to handle the windows (or you could share with everyone - I’m sure there’s more than just me wondering what you learned).

I bought my wheel arch molding from SubaruPartWholesale in Illinois.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,355 Posts
@ComeBackShane

Pm me any time. You can either wrap or plastidip the window trim. Wrapping requires taking off the trim. If you get it done professionally it will be costly, as it is time consuming.

I plastidipped mine with the trim on. Took me 3 times. I will be doing it on my 18 in a couple weeks. I’m also doing my shark fin and roof tails black. Excited

The problem is the chrome trim is in contact (in places) with the rubber moulding. Soo...

Only do one side at a time
Tape off really well
Apply 5-7 coats

Now...make sure you have a razor blade.

On your last coat (when it’s still wet) start to remove the tape very slowly and if it start pulling, gently cut the “pulls” with the razor.

Takes patience, but doable and looks good.

Another tip...put the can of plastidip in hot water for 20 mins before you spray. Makes a huge difference.

....love my methods. Wish I had gone black rhino, but I wanted 17”

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
313 Posts
Where'd you pick the wheel trim up at? Looking into it but want something of OEM quality plastic? Thx!
there is another post on here about the knock offs on ebay OR oem.. for the most part the OEMs are recommended over the knockoffs.. Although the OEM is about 2x more expensive.. the knockoffs use tape only to hold them on. the OEM uses clips as well..

IF you google the parts number there are some dealers that are selling them in the low $300 range (vs $365 or so on average other places)...

I am going to order a set for my '17 Touring (white) here very soon..

Brian

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
126 Posts
I don’t think I’d buy a car without it. My old Mazda 3 didn’t and it rusted like crazy in that spot because of winters and salt from the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry to says this guys but removed mine today and the amount of dirt and gravel that gets behind is not good, they are a tragedy waiting to happen.
Mine is a 16' xt with only 20 000km it was not nice under there. Never putting anything like this on a car again.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts