Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Forester Premium, 50k miles. My a/c was blowing 80 degree air at the top ouletlet so I took it to the dealer after reading about condensor leaks on this forum. Sure enough the condensor had a leak on the seam and the dealer confirmed its a common problem they see. The condensor was replaced (Subaru covered parts cost) and the system charged. The the problem is its not real cold and it seems to cycle more than my Honda or Toyota did. I measured the outlet temp on a 92 degree day, temp set to Lo, 3 bars on the fan speed and it varried between 45 to 55 degrees F. At one point it went to 58. Does this sound like its working properly and what should the outlet temp be, I've seen mention of 35 degrees F?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT (SOLD)
345 Posts
I'm assuming you are using fresh air and not recirculate?

If you are getting outlet temps 45-55 on a 92 degree days, that sounds pretty good. My '13 KIA Soul's A/C was not cooling off really well when we had a hot spell of 90s and 100+ for two weeks. They checked everything (under warranty) and said it was OK. The outlet temp on mine was around 75. After doing some research, I found that the "acceptable" measure, at least for KIA, was outlet temps 20-25 degrees less than outside. It never got "cold" in the car. Yours seems to be doing much better than that.

We do have to remember that the big windows that give us great visibility also make the Forester a wonderful greenhouse.

A few years ago, I bought a 15-year-old ('99) Honda Civic from an older couple at church, and that A/C would just about frost up the windows. After 10 minutes, I would have to turn the fan down to #1 and sometimes even bump the temp dial off "Cold" a notch. Passengers in shorts would complain that it was too cold even on a 90+ day. THAT was an incredible A/C!

When I was looking online for measuring the performance of our home A/C, the standard is 15-20 degrees less than the whole-house temps. Our A/C is set on 75, and the temps at the vents was 58-60. I guess that is considered acceptable.

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
15,611 Posts
It depends on the humidity and the temperature of the air being cooled. Using inside air and when the humididit in side has dropped to say below 40% tu should see at least around 25 degrees below bulk car temperature. Most A/C units in home or wherevey work on a 25 degree drop.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have mentioned the vent was on recirculate. I guess its OK then but still concerned about the frequency of cycling on and off. I read that for up to 2016's there's a TSB to change the compressor, TSB-10-84-16R.

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
15,611 Posts
I just checked my '19 Crostrek. Cabin temp 83F outlet temp lowest I could scan was 42.F Average was about 47F

·
Registered
2019 forester touring
104 Posts
Years ago, I was in a/c and refrigeration. The air coming out should be 16 - 22 degree difference compared to room temperature. That was the basic difference back then. I didn't work on automobile A/C but the principles are the same.
Now also take into account if it's a 98 degree day or high humidity, the condenser can't get rid of heat as quickly or efficiently as normal. As was said also, windows play a large part in the equation letting more sun and heat in. Before digital tstats, a lot of people thought that turning up the thermostat would produce instant colder air. What that actually does is make the compressor run longer to obtain that temp. Hope this wasn't too long winded.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@adc - Did it cycle on and off much?

When the compressor is on the aid is cold, 45 or so. Maybe there's an adjustment to control the on/off %?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not think that big a drop was possible. If it was not on recirculate, maybe the outside air temperature was about 70F?
I also have a 2016 Forester and had its a/c checked by the dealer just in case there was a crakced condensor. All is well with it and the outlet temp is about 42-45 degres on a 90 degree day with the recirculate on, low fan spped and Lo temp set.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT (SOLD)
345 Posts
I just got home from a 40-mile trip and noted the following regarding A/C operation.

2019 Forester Base. Outside temp was 93(F) as indicated by the dashboard display. Moderately high humidity. Very sunny, so lots of solar heating.

A/C was set on "Fresh", Temp dial was set at lowest setting (62F). Fan was on appx 1/3, with dash and floor setting.

When I got home, I took my old, unscientific Sears multi-meter and attached the temp probe. First I held it appx midway between the headrests to see cabin temp. That was 72(F).

Then I took the probe and inserted it into the center dash vents. Temp read 54(F). Checked the outer dashboard vents by door and read 56(F). Gains some temp in long ductwork.

Switched to "Recirculate" for curiosity. Center vents now read as low as 45(F). Outer vents read 48(F). That may have gone down another degree or two if I waited longer.

Not exactly scientific instruments, but at least it may give you a ballpark figure to work with.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
141 Posts
Corporate response:
We do not have a set temperature that the A/C should be at, but the Service departments are able to inspect the system further and they have a way to test the output. Since our retailers have the advantage of a physical inspection of the vehicle, they are in the best position to provide a resolution.

What happened at the dealership was they did the dye, then used a black light to see if there are any leaks they could tell immediately and then recharged the refrigerant using a machine. The machine evacuated all the refrigerant in the car, then recycled it back into the car and then added some since I was off a little bit. It is now blowing noticeably cooler. I paid ~$170.

Note: You should always be using recirculate to get the coldest possible air...

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took the Forester to Florida for a 6 weeks and it worked fine in 97 degree humid weather. It takes a bit long to cool down the cabin for my liking. One thing that I did notice is the A/C clutch cycle time seems to be off too long and that makes the air blow warm until it comes on again. On two occasions it was not engaged for so long that I thought the A/C crapped out but then it came back and was fine. Perhaps it was a de-icing cycle?

Having said that, before the trip the dealer found my condenser was leaking at the corner seams. I had it replaced and Subaru covered the cost of the part ($600); I had to pick up labor ($300). But last week they sent me a letter and are extending the warranty on 2017 and some 2018 condenser to 5 years. They will pickup the labor cost for any previous work. Click here to access the Condenser Claim Form.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
1,401 Posts
2017 Forester Premium, 50k miles. My a/c was blowing 80 degree air at the top ouletlet so I took it to the dealer after reading about condensor leaks on this forum. Sure enough the condensor had a leak on the seam and the dealer confirmed its a common problem they see. The condensor was replaced (Subaru covered parts cost) and the system charged. The the problem is its not real cold and it seems to cycle more than my Honda or Toyota did. I measured the outlet temp on a 92 degree day, temp set to Lo, 3 bars on the fan speed and it varried between 45 to 55 degrees F. At one point it went to 58. Does this sound like its working properly and what should the outlet temp be, I've seen mention of 35 degrees F?
35F out of an automotive a/c unit sounds unrealistically low to me; there would be a problem with ice accumulation on the evaporator

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Current model Foresters allow you to select different modes for the climate control. Eco, etc. might check to see if yours has something similar.

I called the dealer and that feature is not on my car. They told me the Sport model has engine settings for economy and sport. It think that's what you are referring to.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,624 Posts
No, I’m referring to climate control. It has mode settings of normal, mild, eco, or power which control how quickly the system attempts to maintain temperature. This is for the 2019 limited. I tried “eco” initially and the system was slow to respond and the temperature swing too much for my comfort.

Climate control mode settings must not have been available in 2017.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i don't see any option to select that on my 2017. It seems mine acts like its set permanently at eco from your description and I do get 31 Mpg avg depending on how heavy my foot is on the accelerator. What is a bit concerning is the dealer wasn't aware that feature existed on the new models.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.