Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are these brown rust-looking stains on the rear ledge metal plate? I tried to hand wash them, but they won't come off. Could it really be rust? Has anyone else encountered this? How to remove it?

Thanks.
IMG_4296.JPG IMG_4297.JPG

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,529 Posts
Here in the US, I don't have that item - is this rear door or rear liftgate?

It looks like it is stainless steel (or some type of brushed metal to LOOK like stainless steel). You may be able to try a bit of a rubbing compound or low-abrasive polish for the metal trim.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
873 Posts
Here in the US, I don't have that item - is this rear door or rear liftgate?
It varies by trim level. It's the scuff thing on top of the rear bumper.

On my 2007 I didn't even get one with the car and had to buy it as an option. It was a black rubber/plastic thing. (My 2018 came with the silver-coloured one.) The dealership said they'd even put it on for me. When I got the car back, they had put it on crooked. I couldn't believe it. New car, dealer-supplied and dealer-installed part, that simply sticks onto the car with double-sided tape, and they screwed it up. One end was sticking out 3/8". I went back and told them to take it off and put another one on. And I encountered resistance! Can you believe it. Eventually they agreed to do it, but they did tell me if they did it wrong again, there would be no second do-overs. Luckily they put it on properly the second time.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
873 Posts
Can't tell from the pictures what it is. Is it rust? I would try 1) rubbing an eraser on it and 2) one of those cleaners that is used to remove the adhesive from stickers.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
660 Posts
Hum....you say that's on the rear bumper lift gate protector right?
If it is stainless steel, all you need is stainless steel polish. Follow the instructions. Contrary to common belief some stainless steel does rust, but its mostly scale build up. Unlike rust it doesn't eat away the metal.

At work we just use red scotch brite. But... be warned it is pretty aggressive and will leave scratch marks. So be very careful on painted surfaces. Mask them up well. Use in conjunction with gray and white scotch brite pads. Actually I would start on reverse, white, gray then red if its really stubborn.

Your call, you got other valid options already said.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Its rust plain and simple. You need to get the rust off and then prep the surface with some sort of rust inhibitor such as a long last oil or wax substance that wont get on everything. Its best to remove the plate, remove the rust and either paint or seal then put back on the car. or order a new plate and treat it with a wax and keep the wax layer built up to protect any imperfections in the stainless top coat from rusting.

wax or oil anything that will keep oxygen and moisture from reaching it.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,529 Posts
It varies by trim level. It's the scuff thing on top of the rear bumper.

On my 2007 I didn't even get one with the car and had to buy it as an option. It was a black rubber/plastic thing. (My 2018 came with the silver-coloured one.) The dealership said they'd even put it on for me. When I got the car back, they had put it on crooked. I couldn't believe it. New car, dealer-supplied and dealer-installed part, that simply sticks onto the car with double-sided tape, and they screwed it up. One end was sticking out 3/8". I went back and told them to take it off and put another one on. And I encountered resistance! Can you believe it. Eventually they agreed to do it, but they did tell me if they did it wrong again, there would be no second do-overs. Luckily they put it on properly the second time.
I can say that I've not seen a metal bumper cover in the US - at least in my area... I see the black plastic bumper cover / protector item....

But then again, if this is on the inside (not seen with the liftgate closed) that could be why I've never seen one, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts