Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Forester Premium, last Friday night, leaving the restaurant, TPMS amber light comes on solid. Tires looked normal, did not find any nails, drove home. Next morning checked tires and pressure was 35psi (from dealership) on all 4. Spare OK. Light went away.
Sunday leaving church, SRS Airbag system needs servicing message with red airbag light above speedometer on solid. Light stayed on while driving to destination. After lunch the light was no longer on when we started the vehicle. We have no chargers, USB drives or other devices plugged in when this happens. Weather was sunny both days, so not water related.
I called the dealership this morning and they want me to bring it in next time the light is on. Seems to me to be too many warnings in such a short time. I have a code reader but have not plugged it in yet. Any advice is welcome.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,203 Posts
Check yellow connectors under the front seats whenever an airbag light comes on. Even if they look properly connected, give them a strong wiggle. This is especially common a problem if you have stashed anything of bulk under the seat.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again tonight "SRS Airbag system needs to be checked" message with red airbag light above speedometer on solid. Light stayed on while driving to destination. Another clue I noticed (I took a picture this time) is the "Passenger Airbag OFF" indicator next to this, with me in the front passenger seat. (common to both events) Below the passenger seat, there is a black flexible tubing coming from the floor going to three connections: yellow, white and gray connectors. The whole thing looks chancy at best. Even a weak wiggle would knock those wires out. I believe I have enough evidence to take it to the dealership next chance I have.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the vehicle to dealership. They re-programmed something and the light came right back. I was informed a seat cushion pad needs to be replaced. Part not in stock, driving the vehicle in the meantime. Of course, no passengers in the front seat on the days I'm planning to use the airbag. Mileage 44,838mi, past 36,000mi warranty.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those of you still tuned-in, front passenger bottom seat cushion was replaced. 3 hours job. $700 part. Hope it is good for two years. A first for me, I wrote a safety complaint to NHTSA, as I don't believe anyone should have to pay to get a safety device replaced on a two year old car. Investigation is ongoing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts