Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how to take off the trunk interior trim panels? I've got some extra dynamat laying around that i was going to put in the trunk but i cant figure out how to get to the screws to remove the side panels.

2017 base model

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,284 Posts
By trunk - do you mean the rear quarter panel trim, the rear liftgate trim, the upper or lower trim?

the rear lift gate is 4 pieces of plastic - one across the top, one on each side and then the big panel (which actually has a smaller panel - so 5 pieces... oh, plus the little fold up hook - 6). It's a combination of screws and those push pin panel fasteners... some look like little trees, some may be metal or plastic, a single piece or a 2 piece (like a drywall anchor).

I think you start with the side trim (around the rear glass) and then there's at least one screw in the folding hook and MAY be another screw behind the plastic panel in the middle (access to the rear gate locking mech). There may be 2 more screws - one at each upper corner.

Invest in some of those trim panel tool kits - you can buy 'em online or Harbor Freight... They're like big, thick screwdrivers with notches to help pull out some of the panel fasteners. And there may be a lot of them.. Once you get a corner up and popped free, it's just working down the line to the next and the next and the next and so on. Try not to lose or damage any of those fasteners - unless you've bought some replacements... I'd suggest getting some spares (you can buy them in smaller packs of 3 or 4 or 5 from the local big-box hardware store or in bigger multi-size kits with dozens and dozens of different size and style fasteners - some may or may NOT be applicable for your Forester).

In some cases, it's a lot like peeling off a bandage - start at one corner and then just work your way around.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
686 Posts
Start from the middle and remove everything there first. This will then let you move up the left and right sides. Be sure to get all the screws holding things in place as it's not all clips that you pop off. I have removed mine multiple times to take off roof rails and to swap a/b/c/d pillars with TS black versions.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
206 Posts
This video shows much of what you're looking to do.

P.S.: I installed the light that this video shows the install for and it is AWESOME! I can actually see what is in my trunk at night. What was Subaru thinking with that bulls*** light on the side panel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
This video shows much of what you're looking to do.

P.S.: I installed the light that this video shows the install for and it is AWESOME! I can actually see what is in my trunk at night. What was Subaru thinking with that bulls*** light on the side panel?

This is probably my favorite part that I've purchased for my Forester! It is an insane upgrade that is so useful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts