Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am adding a tow hitch to my my 2017 Forrester and was wondering if it was pre wired at the factory for a tow hitch and if so, whether it's set for a 7 pole connector.
Thanks so much.
G

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Subaru suggests adding a brake controller for a trailer over 1000 lbs. If I do won't I need more than a 4 pin connector? Can I add that 3rd party?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,389 Posts
Just what are you saying? If you don't need or use a brake controller, then get a 7 to 4 pin converter. That's what I do on my Mercedes it's only got a 7 pin connector and I do not have brake controller installed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,240 Posts
@Gibchild @bman400 just for grins, since they don't make it easy to find the information, I looked thru the 2014 wiring diagrams & found this (see wiring diagram snippets below). It appears they use 7 of the 8 pins. Note there is an error as pin [3] is assigned twice! Not unexpected, as I've found many errors on the Subaru Technical documents!

► Edit - looking on the '09-'13 wiring diagram, the "Clearance Light & Illumination Light System" shows pin [5] on the trailer connector.

Bobby...

► Disclaimer - always verify any information you read on the internet, especially if you're going to spend money on parts!

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2018 Forester MT
73 Posts
I have seen references elsewhere that the missing pin 7 is for rear fog lights in the markets that require them and the USDM models leave it blank.

So Subaru suggests adding a brake controller for a trailer over 1000 lbs. If I do won't I need more than a 4 pin connector? Can I add that 3rd party?
Yes, combined with a module like the Curt 56040 that adapts the Subaru 8-pole trailer connector to a 4-pin flat connector, you can add a "4 flat to 7 round trailer adapter" and splice the extra wires for reverse (yellow) and 12+ Aux (black) directly to pins 3 and 1 as shown above. In addition, one wire (blue) will need to be ran back separately to wherever the brake controller unit is mounted, unfortunately Subaru didn't pre-wire for that even with their guidance for towing over 1000 lbs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry if I'm slow but if I want to add brakes I think I would need more than a 4 pin converter. right? 4 pin takes care of lights.
If I want to ad brakes to the trailer and a brake controller in the car, is this "Endurance 5 round pin to 4 flat with converter" (Hopkins® - Endurance™ 5-Round Pin to 4-Flat with Converter)
the kind of adaptor that would allow me to power the brakes too or do I need more wiring or more pins etc?
Thank you so much for your time,
G

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,389 Posts
No sir. That adapter is to convert 5pin on car side to 4pin trailer side. You need to buy either a 7pin or 5pin connector on the car side, then run extra brake controller wiring to the 5pin or 7pin connector in order to hookup to the 5 or 7pin on the trailer. Subaru does not provide this brake controller wiring. And therefore the car only is capable of supporting 4pin trailer connector only.

This is what you need: https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Mighty-Cord/A10-7084VP.html

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts