Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my stock wheels and tires, and the new Method MR501 wheels and Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires came with TPMS, but they didn't reprogram the car. I want to do a 5-tire rotation, so I figured I'd have to deal with this now and every time I rotated the tires. I wanted a way to do this at home, so after a bit of research I realized I needed a way to A) read the tires and B) write the new IDs to the computer. The Autel TS601 does both, and pretty much everything that you might want to do with OBD II, including graphs and realtime data.

The process was easy, there was a function under TPMS Diagnostics to read all the codes at once, FR, FL, RR, RL in that order. Then I plugged in the OBD II cable, and went to the OBD II menu. There was a function to write the TPMS codes, and the codes were already in memory from the first step. I took a short drive and the light stayed on. I took another longer drive and the light turned off in the first few minutes.

I then used the realtime data function to watch my idle, which was a little rough after installing a new bigger exhaust. It was dipping down below 400, and was uneven, but it cleared itself up after giving the ECU some more learning time.

There are apparently other tools that can both read and write the codes. Some of them have two pieces, one to read and one to write the codes. Others do everything in one but don't do any other OBD functions. Some were cheaper and others were much more expensive. This one does everything that most of the others claimed to do, and cost $276. I have never spent more than $60 on an OBD reader, so it was a bit of a gamble, but it works and it's firmware upgradable for the future. Hopefully this will help others who want to do a 5-tire rotation.

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
My Autel has already pretty much paid for itself. Between personal situations and helping out fellow local vehicle owners in need, it has gotten a ton of mileage. Great tool to have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are there any cheaper tools that can be used to reprogram the TPMS? I recently put on winter tires, tired of the TPMS warning. I see Amazon has "ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool" for $100, and amongst the reviews are people who claim it worked for their 2015/2016 Foresters (I have a 2019). Does anyone here have experience with this tool, specifically with a 2019?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts