Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,517 Posts
@Requnix
The Forester is an AWD car, which means there is extra running gear that runs all the time (Full time AWD)
It also depends a lot on your driving and driving conditions.
High speed = low mileage - Especially in a boxy SUV which is not very aerodynamic.
At speeds over 55-60 the mileage gets increasingly bad as the speed goes up due to drag. 2XSpeed=4XDrag
At 50-55 I can get over 30mpgs - At 80 I'm lucky to get much over 20.
Stop and go also plummets the mpg's as a lot of energy is used on getting the car up to speed.
If either of those apply, your mileage isn't far off the mark.
Pretending an egg is between your foot and the skinny pedal and keeping your tires properly inflated will help, but don't expect to get Hybrid Prius mileage, 'cause you won't.

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,517 Posts
@Requnix -
The "sticker" has nothing to do with real world mpg results. It is for "comparison purposes ONLY". That's a quote from the sticker.
So you wait until you get your oil changed to check tire pressure? Bad idea. Tire pressure should be checked at least monthly.
Weekly is getter.
The TPMS warning doesn't eliminate the need for that. Check tires when it's COLD and before driving.
Every 10 degrees changes pressure by about 1 psi.
Tires set to the door jam rating in the afternoon after you drive to the Quacky-Lube will be underinflated, and you'll see that if you check the next morning.

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,517 Posts
Resetting your trip meter while driving shows great mpg's on the guess-o-meter, but you seldom get anywhere near that over the life of the tank.
I can get get mileage rolling downhill too, but going up the hill on the other side.... Not so much..
;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts