Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT Premium
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the warmer weather hopefully showing up soon, I plan on installing my LED light bar. With this install I'd love to integrate an OEM looking switch to turn these off and on. My panel looks like the following:

I'd love to make use of one of the two blanks below the cluster illumination control. Does anyone know of any OEM switches for these locations that could be used for the light? The other option would be to move the VDC down to one of the blanks like so:

Anyone that can provide the PN for that version of the switch? Anyone know if the 17 FXT harness would work with that switch type ?

I know I'll probably get some keep it simple stupid responses telling me to just cut the panel and put in a generic rocker or push button, but I'd love to make this install appear OEM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
12 Posts
Any updates on this? I want to run a light bar and use one of the smaller lower switch blanks...my top two are taken with a Foglight switch and traction control.

Is the only option to buy a lower VDC switch and just run 2 fog light switches up top?

·
Registered
05 Forester
16 Posts
Plenty of ebay switches. Just got to find one that fits. Then relay off it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
317 Posts
@blazin What are the dimensions for the openings?
I had done something similar to my ZR2 Blazer years ago.
I can at least recommend a few switches if you want to keep OEM look without drilling additional holes.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
586 Posts
I have my fog light 'switch' on the stalk, so I was able to use a regular fog light button and connect it to the power run from the LED bar and the built in cables for the button to allow it to light up normal when in use. Don't know of a way to work this if your stock location is already used by the fog button. You can't just move a button from the top to the bottom as they don't fit and if you found another year that does have that function moved then no promise it will connect at the back to the wiring harness light before.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
298 Posts
I didn't want to muck around with drilling holes and installing switch gear in the factory panels, so I went a much different route, requiring no additional switches or routing wires through the firewall or tapping into existing wired light power sources.

The wiring harness I bought (on Amazon) has a key-fob remote control for the lights. There's a relay on the wiring harness and you can either use a wired button (I did this on the back light unit on the rear of the roof basket) or use the wireless fob. It's easy.

The wiring harness attaches directly to the battery (so you DO have to remember to turn them off) but it keeps me from having to find the right spot to push the wiring through to the interior. As most of the wiring looms online have built in fuse protection, there's no worry about burning out.

And then I just have the fobs "stored" in the door pull "well" on the driver's door and I can just turn them on and off with ease.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
51 Posts
where did you source that OEM fog light switch? mine is on the stalk and i want some OEM buttons for my blank slots for my off-road lights, clearance lights, auxiliary reverse lights, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts