Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2017 SJ 2.0 XT (2nd owner) and recently noticed a red switch by the gas pedal. I have not been able to identify the purpose or function of this switch, apart from a consistent "double-tick" sound.

I have attached the pictures and would appreciate any views on what this may be?

Thank you.

Alvin.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x Rusty Bucket
146 Posts
It's not OEM. Will the car start in both positions? Could be a kill switch for the ignition. Did the previous owner add fog lights or a light bar? Is the any wiring under the hood that does not look factory? Have you pulled the panel and tested it it's a live switch ?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,439 Posts
@sierrasg welcome to the forum from Oregon!

My guess is also a "kill switch", but normally a kill switch would be placed out of sight?

What happens when you turn it off (looks like it's on). Can you start the engine?

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: sierrasg

·
Administrator
15,755 Posts
The "double tick" could be a relay; maybe aux lighting. That red/black cable doesn't look OEM so following that may provide an answer

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,434 Posts
I would think a kill switch would be less obvious and not bright red.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
837 Posts
You would have to do some digging and find out where the wiring goes.

Seems like an odd place to put a switch. I'd be worried I would hit it with my right leg...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Will the car start in both positions?
The car starts with the switch in both positions. Similarly, the headlights, daytime running lights and fog lights (all of which came as standard) work, irrespective of the switch positions.

I am not technically trained so would not be able to tell the difference. This is puzzling. May seek out the help of a mech.

Thank you for your suggestions! Appreciate it.

Alvin.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT Slush box
120 Posts
Does the car have the factory radio?

It might be a connection to an alternate ground signal line, put in place to allow video playback while driving in an aftermarket radio. To prevent video playback while driving, some aftermarket radios require a connection to the parking brake; video will only play when the brake is engaged. A switch allows that feature to be bypassed if desired. My professionally installed aftermarket radio has a switch in the exact same spot for this purpose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the car have the factory radio?

It might be a connection to an alternate ground signal line, put in place to allow video playback while driving in an aftermarket radio. To prevent video playback while driving, some aftermarket radios require a connection to the parking brake; video will only play when the brake is engaged. A switch allows that feature to be bypassed if desired. My professionally installed aftermarket radio has a switch in the exact same spot for this purpose.
The car has a factory audio. I have not tried playing video yet. Would give it a try. Thanks!
Alvin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried contacting the original owner?
I got the forester through a car dealer. I tried asking to contact the previous owner through the dealer. However, because of privacy laws, the dealer is unable to contact the previous owner as he did not give explicit consent for future communications after the forester was sold.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You might be able to find it online using the VIN. I think vehicle registration information is public domain.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,439 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester
96 Posts
It could be for something that was removed, such as an amp, also. Try tracing the wires, or look at other spots such as under the hood or in the back to see if you can find the same wires that attach to the switch, then you can always check continuity to verify.

·
Registered
2014 Crosstrek Premium XV CVT
22 Posts
I realize this is a longshot and probably not your situation based on its location but I have an identical switch that was installed when I had a seat heater installed in the driver's position. If you have factory heated seats then it would not be a candidate but as a longshot thought it worth throwing out there. The switch is identical to mine though mine is located at the base of the seat on the left of the driver but could have been put anywhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does the "double tick" sound emanate from the switch? Only when switch is on? If not, what does it come from?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts