Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport and 2017 Forester Premier
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter scraped our 2017 Forester against a parking garage column at unknown speed but physical damage appeared to be paint scrapes on fender. However the Eyesight system and related lights all came ablaze on the dash and the steering wheel was no longer centered, it was essentially at 11 o'clock with wheels straight.

She is using the car remote at college so I do not know "actual" specifics of the impact. She took to the local Subaru dealer who diagnosed bent tie rod. They ended up ordering a $1,095 steering gear unit as well and "fixed" everything for $1,500. If I was there it could have been handled differently but I was presented a situation where she needed the car asap, etc.

This is all water under the bridge now, but this was the biggest repair (outside of collision) that I have ever had in 40 years of car ownership. Based on the exterior damage I find it hard to believe the damage/cost, but the eyesight was definitely affected and the steering wheel was off center. Thoughts?

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Is her name Maria Andretti ;)

Tell daughter to watch where she is going. Drive more careful, not to depend on eyesight, and to put down the phone.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
The steering being off is a simple calibration done through the diagnostics port.
I could see tie rods being bent. That shouldn't cost anywhere near $1500, tho.
What else did they replace?
Edit: Oops, just noticed they replaced the "steering gear unit" as well - that's the steering box and that can't be a cheap part. You have to take that repair on faith, I think.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport and 2017 Forester Premier
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was just backing out of her spot so she was not going more than a few mph, I guess they must have just taken advantage of the situation.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
She was just backing out of her spot so she was not going more than a few mph, I guess they must have just taken advantage of the situation.
Hate to say it but it does sound like it if she was only going a couple of mph. Cars are not made of papier mache - they can take certain hit.
Impossible to say with certainty, tho.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
776 Posts
I could imagine that if she was backing out and hit a pillar with the edge of the tire that was sticking out (because she had the wheel turned) that it would have bent a tie rod. Not sure on the steering rack. Seems a bit odd that both steering rack AND tie rod end (s) got damaged. You would think that once a tie rod got bent, it would have taken the brunt of the force and become the weak point.

But I guess it's possible the steering rack mountings got damaged.

If they replaced the steering rack, and tie rod end for $1500, I'd say that's pretty reasonable. They probably had to reset the steering angle sensor as well. When a vehicle is driven in a straight line (wheel sensors indicate constant, equal speed on all 4 wheels) for a period of time while the steering wheel is NOT straight, the computer has a fit!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts