Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. 2nd Forester 1st being 2010 Limited. Presently have a 2017, also Limited
The '17 has the "spoiler" over rear window and I thought it would keep dirt and road crap off.
Wrong. It's actually a lot worse then the '10 with no "spoiler".
Subaru says the spoiler is non-functional so only for appearance.
Has anyone figured any way to keep back window clean?
I'm thinking that most of the road crap is being thrown from rear wheels and hits back window.
So has anyone experimented with rear wheel "mud flaps" and , if so, does it help.
Actually looking at anything that would help.
2010, with no "spoiler" really was cleaner then 2017.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,213 Posts
Any hatch has this problem. It's not your rear real wheels as much as dirt/dust/moisture from the environment and other cars.

RainX and some other products can help minimally and will make cleaning easier.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,213 Posts
Having a microfiber car duster is also helpful in summer. I can detail my car (2018 xt)...and the back window will collect dust just sitting there.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
171 Posts
Welcome to the world of what us old timers called "station wagons" which had the same problem with the rear window. Don't know if it's made or not but they used to sell an air foil that would catch air coming over the top and direct it down over the window. ajduck, doesn't yours have the rear wiper and washer?

·
Registered
2018 Premium 2.5i 6M
143 Posts
I have that spoiler and mudflaps. I think a dirty rear window just the design of this car, in general. My 2000 didn't have this problem to this degree.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT2.0
6 Posts
The spoiler is intended to decrease drag by "spoiling" the movement of air over the car.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
131 Posts
Ahh yes ...station wagons ...ol' stonebreaker took me back to my childhood and our '68 Chevy Caprice "Estate Wagon" complete with the faux wood on the sides. Yeah, that rear window got dirty all the time.

What happens is as the vehicle moves along ...a station wagon ...or a Forester ...a low pressure area is created in the area right behind the vehicle; aka a vacuum. And that vacuum sucks all manner of road dust and rain and dirt and all manner of crap and deposits it on the rear window ...and the rest of the back end of the vehicle. A real spoiler on a station wagon directed air downward across the rear window ...it was usually cleverly disguised in the rooftop luggage rack. So the only way to, at least marginally, keep the crap off the rear window is with a functioning spoiler directing air downward to wash over the rear window and spoil the low pressure area behind the vehicle.

Automotive aerodynamics 101 class is dismissed.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
38 Posts
The '17 has the "spoiler" over rear window and I thought it would keep dirt and road crap off.
I'm thinking that most of the road crap is being thrown from rear wheels and hits back window.
So has anyone experimented with rear wheel "mud flaps" and , if so, does it help.
Thanks in advance
My 2003 XS has it, and it's my opinion after many years that the window would be even messier in winter or heavy or messy weather if the spoiler was not there. Now if they could do mud flaps that would help more AND not get so much snow, ice and mud on them as to create a new danger, that would be nice.

·
Registered
2018 Forester DCT
4 Posts
Thanks in advance
I got some flaps that were recommended at the dealer - I get some minor improvement with less stuff on the sides of the Forester, but the rear still accumulates a lot ESPECIALLY right under the 'spoiler', which seems to be a complete waste.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
306 Posts
As said above - remember that the roof spoiler on the Foz is more about looks and a bit for aerodynamics and a spoiler is NOT designed to keep a window clean or clear.

Mind you - there were (are?) available some spoiler type devices that were designed to direct the airflow from the roof over the rear window to help keep that back window clear ... kind of like the "sneeze guards" at the local salad bar or buffet...

Even the newer units - the 2019 and 2020 (and some other brands) have even MORE of a spoiler on the back - where the spoiler continues down the SIDE of the rear window. Again, this is more for aerodynamics and less for keeping the window clean as there is no air flowing over the rear window.

But seriously, where are you driving and how "dirty" is that rear window getting? If it's just dust - use a cloth or duster to wipe it down every day or two. If it's rain and slush - that's what the rear wiper and washer are for. Or just use a squeegee...

·
Registered
2018 Premium 2.5i 6M
143 Posts
So the only way to, at least marginally, keep the crap off the rear window is with a functioning spoiler directing air downward to wash over the rear window and spoil the low pressure area behind the vehicle.
The rear spoiler on my 2000 Forester did exactly this.

It was OEM and sat on the back hatch on two pegs. The spoiler itself angled downward, with a gap of about 3-4 inches between it and the back hatch, funneling air over that rear window. I always wondered why it was built that way. No wonder that window was never really crapped up! Thanks for the science lesson. (Someone should develop an aftermarket one for these newer Foresters.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts