Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car has so many beeps, it's driving me crazy. Found how to stop some. Still looking for how to shut off others.
1. I don't need my car to alert me when it reaches a certain temperature (37F. Really?).
2. Also don't need to an audible alert for how long the car has been running (2 hours? 4 hours? Just, no.).
Anybody know how to silence the car?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,795 Posts
@ihatethiscar welcome to the forum from Oregon!

It's always helpful if you include your vehicle model year on your forum posts.
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.

Note that your thread(s) could be closed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: Natedog

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
749 Posts
I have a 2018 which should be similar to your 2017. I have the top trim level in Canada (Limited) so I assume I have all the beep options. I've never heard the car beep at me after the car has been running for a certain duration (2 h, 4 h, etc). I've driven the car continuously for more than 2 h (road trips where I've emptied the whole gas tank).

I searched the manual for the strings "hours" and "hour" and found only "journey time" on Mexico-spec models, and in that description it's only a visual indicator that flashes every hour, with no beeps. I also did a search for "audible" and didn't find anything applicable.

It might be easiest if you download the PDF manual(s) for your car and search through them. For me, looking through the PDF file is much easier than using the paper manual. It's easier to flip through the PDF and also easier to search the PDF or zoom in.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
43 Posts
The 37F beep is a safety thing to alert you that roadways may be freezing. I don't believe there's any way to disable it. It's on a lot of car models these days. My 11 Outback does it too.

I also have a 2017. It doesn't beep at certain drive times, so I don't know what you've done to activate that. What do you have your Multi-Function Display set to display? Is it a screen that shows your drive time? Maybe that is the reason for the bi-hourly beep.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My advice to you is to get used to multiple alerts on newer cars.........they're only going to get more numerous. We have a 2019 Forrie Touring and I simply ignore the alerts unless they pertain to my specific situation. Our Forrie has the facial sensor that beeps after deciding that I'm not staring directly at the road ahead........3 seconds..........sigh. Why not 4 seconds...or 2 seconds?

Much easier to ignore than to turn them off every time you start UNLESS they remain "off" once you shut down and then restart.

Thank the legal community for the plethora of sounds and lights. The litigious nature of our society where everyone's a victim, especially when the smell of easy money is sensed, means that manufacturers look for anything they can install that covers them in the event of a crash.

I'm old enough to remember when as the driver, we were responsible for our actions.......being distracted by something to the side was no excuse for driving into the back of the car ahead of us.

Hard to believe, huh? Personal responsibility was what they called it....

Steve

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
60 Posts
@ihatethiscar,

You can go into the info settings on the clock display screen, and turn the beeps off for most warnings. I don't remember exactly where in the settings menu the option is, but it's in a pretty obvious spot. I turned the beeps off for all notifications since it drove me crazy. When you turn them off in the menu they will stay off until you turn them back on. I recently pulled my battery and even after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the beeps still stayed off.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
288 Posts
That is simply the biggest problem with newer cars, and Subaru in particular. You almost have to break things in order for the the beeps and whistles to stop annoying you. It really is asinine for car manufacturers to put all this crap in there, because it distracts and dumbs down the drivers senses enough to make the road ahead more dangerous. It's not enough that we have to worry about external distractions, now the real threat is about the internal ones originally designed to protect us...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My advice to you is to get used to multiple alerts on newer cars.........they're only going to get more numerous. We have a 2019 Forrie Touring and I simply ignore the alerts unless they pertain to my specific situation. Our Forrie has the facial sensor that beeps after deciding that I'm not staring directly at the road ahead........3 seconds..........sigh. Why not 4 seconds...or 2 seconds?

Much easier to ignore than to turn them off every time you start UNLESS they remain "off" once you shut down and then restart.

Thank the legal community for the plethora of sounds and lights. The litigious nature of our society where everyone's a victim, especially when the smell of easy money is sensed, means that manufacturers look for anything they can install that covers them in the event of a crash.

I'm old enough to remember when as the driver, we were responsible for our actions.......being distracted by something to the side was no excuse for driving into the back of the car ahead of us.

Hard to believe, huh? Personal responsibility was what they called it....

Steve
Hi Steve. I really will have to get my old ('71) VW bus running again...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ihatethiscar,

You can go into the info settings on the clock display screen, and turn the beeps off for most warnings. I don't remember exactly where in the settings menu the option is, but it's in a pretty obvious spot. I turned the beeps off for all notifications since it drove me crazy. When you turn them off in the menu they will stay off until you turn them back on. I recently pulled my battery and even after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the beeps still stayed off.
Thank you. I'll poke around there some more.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
428 Posts
I suspect the "how long running" noise as you call it, is the same one I hear from my car - a '17 XT with EyeSight and Nav. It is a single "bong", quite a pleasant musical sound, but I find it very annoying that the car supplies no dashboard message or light to explain the concern. I'm still puzzling mine out after 4.5 years and 60,000 miles, but I THINK it relates to having the map display running (but not necessarily having a route programmed in or not, nor does the cruise control need to be engaged). You get the "bong" when the map data notices certain points of concern. Crossing all of Canada in 2019 it clearly was warning us about the ending points of uphill passing lanes, but in the USA the map data often seems more sparse and the correlation is less clear.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
110 Posts
My '15 has those 2. The 37° one also says "roads may become slick" on the display. The time says journey time on the display. It beeps at 2 hours, then every hour after that. I miss the time one more often than not. For the temp one, I always found it interesting it will ding if the temp drops but doesn't do anything if the temp is already 37 or below when you start if it's supposed to be a safety thing.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium
6 Posts
I'm OK with the 37° outside temp warning. I'm annoyed by the lane departure warning beeps. I'm an old sports car driver and motorcycle rider. I use all of my lane - it's my lane. I wish I could de-sensitize the dang thing a bit.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
43 Posts
I'm OK with the 37° outside temp warning. I'm annoyed by the lane departure warning beeps. I'm an old sports car driver and motorcycle rider. I use all of my lane - it's my lane. I wish I could de-sensitize the dang thing a bit.
I just turn mine off when I'm on twisty roads. At least that one stays off, but I wish it didn't have the annoying yellow indicator on the dash when it is turned off.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
879 Posts
I took apart my dash, cut the noise making bit off the circuit board, painted black paint over the warning lights I didn't want and subdued some of the others with light coat of same color paint, like the cold engine overly bright blue light (especially at night, duh it's cold I just started the engine lol).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts