Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 2017 forester touring (my third Subaru) a few months ago and just picked up some used winter tires on craigslist. They were from a Crosstrek and are OEM rims but with good winter tires already on them.

I assumed they would work fine since same bolt pattern but once I got them home (not installed yet) I noticed they are smaller than my regular tires.

Original tires are:225/60R17

Winter tires are:205/50R17 so they are same rim size but not as wide and smaller overall size.

Question 1: Will installing them case any issues since they are smaller?

Question 2: I noticed on the inside of the rims there are little weights which I read was to balance the tires. I assume these should remain even if I am putting them on a different vehicle? I’m sure the installer will know but wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
737 Posts
Question 1: since the winter tires are about 10% smaller (in circumference) than the originals, your speedo will be out. (enter the tires into this page and you can see the comparison : https://tiresize.com/comparison/ ) This will cause the whole system to run slightly higher RPMs to reach the same speed, but I wouldn't say that this is a problem.

Question 2: Balancing is on the rim/tire combo and is done when the rim is NOT on the vehicle. So, leave the weights on.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
702 Posts
What GuusV says^^^ is completely my view - just go for it.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you stay around and participate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question 1: since the winter tires are about 10% smaller (in circumference) than the originals, your speedo will be out. (enter the tires into this page and you can see the comparison : https://tiresize.com/comparison/ ) This will cause the whole system to run slightly higher RPMs to reach the same speed, but I wouldn't say that this is a problem.

Question 2: Balancing is on the rim/tire combo and is done when the rim is NOT on the vehicle. So, leave the weights on.
Thanks GuusV, appreciate the information and helpful link. Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts