Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Subaru Forester purchased August 2016.
Summer of 2019, my AC stopped working was blowing only hot air.

June 2019: went in to Subaru maintenance for bi-annual tire swap and have the AC looked at. Still covered by warranty but just barely (ends August 2019). They injected a dye and filled it up with freon and asked me to let them know when it stops working again. They said even if it happens after the warranty, it will still be covered since I brought it in before warranty expired.

The problem is I hardly use my car, about 30 min to 1 hour per week. So by the end of summer, the AC was still working so I didn't bring it in. Obviously over winter I never used AC so during Dec 2019 tire swap, I didn't bring up any AC issues since there weren't any.

June 2020: AC stopped working again. Brought the car in for tire swap and they said it's been almost a year since warranty expired and AC problem can no longer be covered. They said the AC condenser is where the leak is and it will cost ~$1000 to fix it.

What should I do? Am I screwed?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
651 Posts
I would tell them that you'd been told it WOULD be covered under warranty (do you have that in writing from 2019?)...

If they will not honor that, then yes, you may have to shell out of your pocket.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, didn't get it in writing. I complained a lot to them, but they weren't having it. Is there any use in contacting Subaru manufacturer and complaining?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
651 Posts
You may want to call Subaru and start off not complaining - but let them know the issue -

you had an AC related issue before the warranty expired June 2019. Dealer was doing dye test. Didn't have issues over the rest of the summer but had issues again this year.

Maybe they'll work with you and get it done or maybe they'll offer a "we pay X, you pay y" solution.

It doesn't hurt to ask. All they can say is "NO" which is where you're at now.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,649 Posts
+1 on Fozzie's comment.
Nobody wants to help someone who starts off by complaining, especially when you have a dubious case.

As far as what's "right", a case can be made either way.
When you have an issue, waiting a year is a long time to come back and say you have a problem.
Warranties don't last forever, and the dealer has no legal obligation.
When they told you to come back if it's a problem, a reasonable person would not assume that means forever.
It sounds pointless to do anything more with the dealer.

Call SOA, clearly state what happened and why, and maybe SOA will help for good will purposes.
The 17's have had a LOT of problems with the AC condenser - There should have been a recall, but unless it's a safety issue (it isn't) Subaru has a long history of dragging their feet on known issues. (Head gaskets anyone?)

Like Fozzie said, the worst that will happen is you get the no you already got.
If SOA won't help, or even just partly, get another opinion (or two) at a well rated indie shop.
It's a good idea on any major repair and dealers are seldom the best price on repairs.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
207 Posts
Unfortunately, didn't get it in writing. I complained a lot to them, but they weren't having it. Is there any use in contacting Subaru manufacturer and complaining?
Check my reply to your post on the other thread.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check my reply to your post on the other thread.
I called Subara Canada and they said they would pay for the part but I have to pay for the labour. All in all not a bad compromise.

When I was at the dealer they quoted a price of about $910 + tax. I assume that's for parts and labour. Does anyone know how much of this is the part and how much is the labour?

thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
721 Posts
Ac compressor ; around $700
Labor should be for around 2 hours time. Check the part numbers and make sure you get the updated model.
(mistakes happen).
They should give you a print out. Good deal!

Awesome

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ac compressor ; around $700
Labor should be for around 2 hours time. Check the part numbers and make sure you get the updated model.
(mistakes happen).
They should give you a print out. Good deal!

Awesome
Thanks, do you have a link for the updated model?

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
207 Posts
I called Subara Canada and they said they would pay for the part but I have to pay for the labour. All in all not a bad compromise.

When I was at the dealer they quoted a price of about $910 + tax. I assume that's for parts and labour. Does anyone know how much of this is the part and how much is the labour?

thanks.
Subaru covered the whole shot in my case, I wonder why they wouldn't do the same with you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2017 Subaru Forester purchased August 2016.
Summer of 2019, my AC stopped working was blowing only hot air.

June 2019: went in to Subaru maintenance for bi-annual tire swap and have the AC looked at. Still covered by warranty but just barely (ends August 2019). They injected a dye and filled it up with freon and asked me to let them know when it stops working again. They said even if it happens after the warranty, it will still be covered since I brought it in before warranty expired.

The problem is I hardly use my car, about 30 min to 1 hour per week. So by the end of summer, the AC was still working so I didn't bring it in. Obviously over winter I never used AC so during Dec 2019 tire swap, I didn't bring up any AC issues since there weren't any.

June 2020: AC stopped working again. Brought the car in for tire swap and they said it's been almost a year since warranty expired and AC problem can no longer be covered. They said the AC condenser is where the leak is and it will cost ~$1000 to fix it.

What should I do? Am I screwed?
Hopefully your dealership is good with customer relations. I know my dealership goes out of their way to make customers happy and we would have taken care of your car. Although it wouldn't have been back. I'd bet the o rings on the expansion valve are leaking and if the tech would have actually done his job correctly would have found it. I know I have several times and being that year, yes you have to check them also because I have had several leak.
The name of the game and Subaru rates their techs ok on fixed right the first time.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
787 Posts
... I'd bet the o rings on the expansion valve are leaking and if the tech would have actually done his job correctly would have found it. I know I have several times and being that year, yes you have to check them also because I have had several leak.
Great advice from everyone already, My 2015 AC slowly detoriated effectiveness last summer and was completely replaced (except for compressor) under extended warranty as all the 0-rings had failed and were leaking as per dye test. Repair at dealer cost me $100 deductable and all was good until recently when it started losing effectiveness again and compressor clutch was chattering bad sometimes when AC first turned on. Another $100 deductable later and I'm getting the new updated compressor/clutch assembly, imo they should've replaced this when they nearly replaced the whole system last time, but at least it's getting fixed. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may want to call Subaru and start off not complaining - but let them know the issue -

you had an AC related issue before the warranty expired June 2019. Dealer was doing dye test. Didn't have issues over the rest of the summer but had issues again this year.

Maybe they'll work with you and get it done or maybe they'll offer a "we pay X, you pay y" solution.

It doesn't hurt to ask. All they can say is "NO" which is where you're at now.
My ac stop working two weeks after warranty expired. Dealer replace condenser under goodwill. 2017 forester xt touring. 125k only. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts