Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2017 forester
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed these small rust spots on front doors after a few months of owning it. Now they look like this. Anyone else has this problem?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
765 Posts
No. Never have seen rust like that on a newer Subaru. Not even our 2003 Forester that lived in NY for 15 years.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
912 Posts
I read that Subarus had their steel treated (possibly galvanized) before priming and painting.
Like the other posts^ suggest, that is definitely not acceptable.

·
Registered
2017 forester
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I took off the driver's side door panel to see how much rust there really was. There was quite a bit more than the small spot. It's right where the seam sealer covers the gap between window frame and door. Once the seam sealer gets compromised in any way, water will drip into this gap causing it to rust. I opened the gap up and scraped the rust away as best as I could. Then coated it with a rust converter. After it dries I plan to seal the gap back up then paint it with touch up paint.

The passenger's side door looks better but I do see a tiny hint of rust just behind the door panel. There's got to be more Foresters with this problem. It could be the seam sealer or they didn't paint this spot enough. Or it could be the door panel rubbing up against the seam sealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have this exact same issue with our 2015 WRX, on all four doors. The area in question either isn't sealed/painted appropriately, or the way the weatherstripping is mounted, doesn't seal the water out.

On my '17, I squirted some Fluid Film in all four corners to prevent corrosion from forming, but I still have my doubts.

Subaru has a rust warranty of 5 years, regardless of mileage. Might be worth a trip to your local dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
2015 XT touring VRP
13 Posts
Unfortunately this is something I see on almost every Subaru that comes in where I work. Because most of these new Subaru’s are full frame doors I believe the problem actually starts from how the doors are set at the factory, if they over bent, every time u close your door it pushes out on the top frame, stretching the area ever so slightly that u see the rust happening, the best fix would b to pick as much away with a small file or pick, use a rust inhibitor, then a little touch up paint and it should b good for a long time

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
15 Posts
I own a 2017 Forester and I noticed this week some rust appeared at the exact same sport as yours and at the bottom of the door panel too. I know that there a lot of water accumulating in the door.
Very disappointing so far with the overall quality of Forester.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
256 Posts
I haven’t found any on the doors, but I have some starting underneath the foam trays in the rear. Where the spot welds are.

Also have some next to the hinges of the tailgate, behind the roof rails. A small amount in the pinch seam, that the tailgate rubber pushes on to. And underneath the gas struts that hold the tailgate up.

I’ve been using Rust Remover Gel, which has been actually really good.
56872C07-D92F-4FBF-BF83-90B414CEFB4A.jpeg

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
765 Posts
I would not use Fluid Film. That material has a small amount of water and will actually cause more rust in the long term. Best to sand and clean then use a good quality rust paint.

Terrible QC with new Subaru’s. Subaru, it seems, is rushing their newer models out of the factory. Very disappointing.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,617 Posts
Fluid film causes more rust long term? Do you have any evidence of this claim?

·
Registered
2018 Forester
145 Posts
I use fluid film underneath, seems to be holding fine, just did a second application. Best before rust.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester
12 Posts
I noticed these small rust spots on front doors after a few months of owning it. Now they look like this. Anyone else has this problem? View attachment 524020
This is exactly what I found on my doors (2017 Forester) this weekend! The car is not even three years old and less than 60K on the odo. Is this a normal wear issue for Subarus? I am coming from a Toyota that I drove around for 17 years and didn't have any major rust issues until, at least year 10.

Will this spread if it's not repaired?

Kinda disappointed now.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester
12 Posts
Removed the chrome door trim to get a better look at the extent of the ugliness and look what I found....
This is terrible. I peeled of some of the black sticker on the bottom of the b-pillar part of the driver's door and it looks like it was also trapping the moisture there. Not sure that this would count as rust perforation but it's certainly working its way through on the weld.

So disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,617 Posts
Damn that is pretty bad in a short amount of time. Have you shared this with your Subaru dealer yet?

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester
12 Posts
No. It is out of warranty for surface corrosion and I'm guessing it will not count as perforation. I am debating whether to go through the hassle of raising a stink with the risk of not getting anything from Subaru against just fixing it myself with some rust remover and touch up paint. It's starting on the passenger side as well which lends to my suspicion that this is a manufacturing defect.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts