Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2017 Forester. It turns out it came from upstate NY and while the interior and exterior were clean and free from rust I got it home and noticed more rust on the engine than I expected (I know, I should have looked before). Notably on the pulleys, piece beneath the oil fill (pump?), and on the exterior of the dipstick housing. Is the rust in the pictures going to be a problem and if so, what do I do about it? Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,672 Posts
@the_pete how does the "dirty side"... the underside of the vehicle look?

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
380 Posts
Looks normal. You can take some Scotchbrite and try to polish off some rust. It’s not easy to get in those deep areas unless you remove the obstructions. If you’re doing spark plugs, PCv valve and other maintenance, that would be a good time. Replace seriously rusted fasteners and go over all the hoses and connections. The rust looks typical. Images are a bit blurry.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
357 Posts
Same here, 2015 Forester.

@higgledy Just for confirmation, do you mind marking the picture/position for the dust from the A/C compressor clutch?

I really want to clean the engine bay but I am scared to mess things up. If anybody can take a picture of the engine bay and tell me which parts to wrap in plastic, I will give a shot before it gets too cold.

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT
1,304 Posts
No need to wrap anything...just hose it all down. Just don't go full blast on any pulleys with bearings where pressure would push water into the bearings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts