Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.0XT Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago I purchased an automatic 2017 2.0XT Premium with 39k miles on it. Everything seems to be in great condition and I am really enjoying the car, but I have some concerns with some rust that I found. I should note that this vehicle originally came from the state of New York and that it has a 90 day limited warranty. Also, I can return it no questions asked within 30 days of the purchase (end of February).

For what ever reason I didn't really notice this on the lot (must have been too excited about getting my first forester;)), but there appears to be a great deal of rust around the exhaust, rear differential, and skid plate (4th picture, not entirely sure if that is even considered the skid plate). That said, there does not seem to be an excessive amount of rust on the frame itself.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Wood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

Another area that I found some rust was around the engine and the pulleys. This concerns me a little more as it seems harder for water/salt to get up into here. Could this be a sign that this is a flooded vehicle?
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Light Yellow Motor vehicle Automotive tire Material property
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

This all said, I have a few questions that someone more experienced with these vehicles might be able to answer:
1. Is this a concerning amount of rust for a 4 year old card with less than 40k miles?
2. Should I try to get the dealership to replace/fix this? And if they won't is this something that I could easily fix myself, or get fixed cheaply?
3. Is this concerning enough that I should return the car and keep looking? I really like this car all else considered, I just don't want to be stuck with a huge problem in the immediate future.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hope that you have a nice day! :)

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,520 Posts
Where do you live? If you live in another snow belt area, I don't think getting dealership to fix it will make any difference. If you live down south like here in Dallas. All that rusting will stop. My 2001 SF has spent most of it's life in in TX, and it's exhaust is not worse that what you have based on pictures. For the most part I think the rest of the vehicle looks fine, unlike some of the other photos of rusting frames, I have seen on here.

·
Registered
2017 2.0XT Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do you live? If you live in another snow belt area, I don't think getting dealership to fix it will make any difference. If you live down south like here in Dallas. All that rusting will stop. My 2001 SF has spent most of it's life in in TX, and it's exhaust is not worse that what you have based on pictures. For the most part I think the rest of the vehicle looks fine, unlike some of the other photos of rusting frames, I have seen on here.
I am in Tennessee, so salt shouldn't be as big of a concern as up north. What about the engine, is the rust here normal from your experience? Thanks for the input

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,758 Posts
Reactions: Natedog

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium CVT
124 Posts
Looks pretty normal for a car from up here in the northeast. I try to do a spray of fluid film once a year before the salt season with a cheap paint sprayer from Harbor Freight. Here’s a photo under my 2014 Forester with 163k

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Premium Automatic
64 Posts
If I lived in a non road salt area like you do, I'd look for a used car that came from a non road salt area. I've had to retire my last two cars because the rust ate things up so bad they became unsafe and/or too expensive to fix. Why buy yourself that headache.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,797 Posts
That's a little more rust than I'd be comfortable with, for a car with that mileage and MY.
I'd return it or at least re negotiate the price. The rust that you don't see may be more problematic.
Buy something better; a car from a non salt area. Where did you buy the car? Waltrip Subaru?

·
Registered
2018 Forester
59 Posts
That is 100% normal for a ny car and nothing to honestly be worried about. Get the car rustproofed like someone else mentioned get the car rust proofed and treated it’s only surface rust at the moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts