Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2017 - Road Service - whether or not to continue the "towing" coverage?

('14-'18) 
2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  heaveyfoot 
#1 ·
When I got my '17, I debated on whether or not to continue the "towing" coverage on my auto insurance policy, as my new Subaru came with 3 years road service. Now i've noticed posts here for folks with a '16 or '17 that have AAA. Is this just out of habit, or do they still use paper maps? What am I missing?

#2 ·
I think with AAA you pay by how many drivers there are, not by how many cars. So people with more than one car keep/get the coverage.

BTW, I love paper maps, although my wife is better at reading them than I am.

Mike

#9 ·
I think with AAA you pay by how many drivers there are, not by how many cars. So people with more than one car keep/get the coverage.

BTW, I love paper maps, although my wife is better at reading them than I am.
Yep, we have AAA Gold with 100 miles free towing, 5 gallons gas, battery replacement, etc. for all our cars, important to us due to some long road trips and sometimes out in middle of nowhere. Also have included on auto insurance lol. It's paid for itself many times over couple times I needed a flatbed tow. :)

#3 ·
While under warranty I just relied on the Subaru road service, then switched to my insurer's service which is like $12/year for same or better coverage. Subaru wanted something like $70?/ year to continue. I did use the Subaru service just once for a lockout and from the time I called to a locksmith showing up was like under 20 minutes- I was impressed. It's an eye-opener how fast with the right tools and not breaking a window they can get into your car. :icon_eek:

#5 ·
Locked myself out, -9F, motor running, dog in car, 3 blocks from the dealer & phone that suddenly went dark. Borrowed a phone & called Grand Forks Subaru, all they could do is give the road side assistance number. Called RSA and 20 minutes later I get a human, quick automated callback from a towing co. that was so garbled I couldn't make out if they said under 20 minutes, 120 minutes or an hour 20 minutes. Thank God I was in a warm pizza place. After an hour with less & less hope that help was coming I borrowed another phone & got a hold of a human at another towing company and 40 minutes & $75 later I was back in my Subaru. Got home & called first towing co. & they hung up on me. I hate people some days.

#11 ·
My mom got 5 nails in one tire once. She called subaru starlink using the button on her 2017 Forester. She waited 1 hour and 45 minutes to have someone come and change the tire. The roadside place used her Jack and tools and did not check the spare tire pressure. I ended up meeting her and had to put in about 20 psi for the spare. We are keeping AAA as the subaru roadside did not meet expectations.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.