Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just left Busch Gardens Williamsburg ChirstmasTown tonight. On our way out, and just got off the train.

Wanted to see if the remote start's range was as good as advertised ... and well, it impressed.

In a theme park, it is very easy to get disoriented as to your position in relation to the parking lot ... but I knew I was pretty far from the car.

Pressed the button twice ... waited a few seconds ... and voila! Two nice beeps on the fob meant a confirmation the car was started. Boy was that nice with three small kids tired and cold when we reached a warm and toasty interior.

I checked the distance using Google Maps "Distance Measurement" tool which measures distance between two points "as the crow flies".

299.346 Meters = 982.107 feet = 0.186 miles (nearly two tenths!).

Color me happy with that!!

Now, if they can just update the software to not shut off the car when a door is opened ... but I digress as that has been discussed at length on here!

MERRY CHRISTMAS / HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all!

·
Banned
2013 2.5x auto
268 Posts
Was that an oem remote start or viper?
So your saying if you walk up to the remote started car and open a door the car shuts off?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was that an oem remote start or viper?
This is an OEM remote start. Yeah, this has been something I have had to overcome with time.

I used to have a 2011 FXT OEM Remote Start and you could use the fob to disarm/unlock, enter the car, insert the key, turn to the ON position, press the brake and continue on your business.

But, it appears that newer remote starts are required to shut off if ANY door is opened. Even if the key fob is used to unlock the door and disarm the alarm ... the car will shut off. Not sure if it is a regulation or something, but the excuse about security is nonsense as the car shuts off anyway if the brake is pressed ... tried it while remote starting sitting in the driver's seat.

This issue has been discussed a lot on here and I even received a nice note from SOA that said they were NOT planning on changing that "feature". Oh well, I will live with it and just work around it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
This is an OEM remote start. Yeah, this has been something I have had to overcome with time.

I used to have a 2011 FXT OEM Remote Start and you could use the fob to disarm/unlock, enter the car, insert the key, turn to the ON position, press the brake and continue on your business.

But, it appears that newer remote starts are required to shut off if ANY door is opened. Even if the key fob is used to unlock the door and disarm the alarm ... the car will shut off. Not sure if it is a regulation or something, but the excuse about security is nonsense as the car shuts off anyway if the brake is pressed ... tried it while remote starting sitting in the driver's seat.

This issue has been discussed a lot on here and I even received a nice note from SOA that said they were NOT planning on changing that "feature". Oh well, I will live with it and just work around it.
Just making this comment in case Subaru actually reads forums such as this and actually cares what we the customer think... The ONLY reason I did NOT get a Subaru factory remote start option was for that very reason (I was a bit worried about range too). Every remote start I had ever used and I have been using remote starters since about 1992 has NEVER had this safety "feature" lmao. So this decision lost Subaru at least several hundred of my dollars. I plan to put in aftermarket remote start even if it ends up costing more, unless there becomes a way to bypass this "feature". It probably could be bypassed with something like a PAC-TR7 and a few diodes, maybe a relay and a bit of wiring without too much trouble, but If I'm going to go through that I might as well just install aftermarket. Maybe use the door unlock pulse or alarm disable (when you unlock the door) to latch the TR7 for 15 seconds or so activating a relay and opening the door pin switches so the doors don't see they are open during that 15 seconds. Trouble is you would probably loose the interior light and outside mirror approach lighting with a method like this.

Also seems like the Factory remote start range is better than I expected it to be. I would never have guessed you could get 1000ft out of it.
Glad to hear that...

Nick

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
I'm very impressed and surprised by the range you state this OEM start works with. I've heard much lower numbers like 500ft. I have looked at aftermarket myself, locally I can have a Avital w/ 800ft range out the door for $324 which seems to be much cheaper than what I've been hearing about the OEM price and range.
Can anyone else confirm the range on the OEM?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,323 Posts
I am impressed as well. I use it all the time. I have been on ships at the dock and before I get off I hit the remote start. Got to be over 1,000 feet away but I am high and in sight. But she starts every time !

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Premium CVT
39 Posts
I installed Scytek Mobilink 5000 in my 06 Forester. I now can control my remote starter and alarm with my cell phone. Unlimited range. I can start my car from the train about two miles out and have a nice warm/cool car when I get to the station. I can also track the car with the GPS feature. Great if some borrowers the car! I'll get a text message and email if my alarm goes off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds interesting...

I installed Scytek Mobilink 5000 in my 06 Forester.
I don't know much about this. I will look it up probably but is it more than simply remote start? Obviously, it appears to link your car to cell networks and makes it "mobile" accessible.

I think it sounds very interesting and was wondering what else you can do. Are there any plan charges ... or fees to use the service?

Sounds really cool.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Premium CVT
39 Posts
The first year of service is free, around $99.00 there after. You get alot of features.Check out Skytek's web site. With their Scynet interface module I was able to prgram the module with my lap top. You can also test each function for proper operation before you button it up.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
I am impressed as well. I use it all the time. I have been on ships at the dock and before I get off I hit the remote start. Got to be over 1,000 feet away but I am high and in sight. But she starts every time !

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Is this the OEM start? Did it come in your package or did you have it installed afterwords? Might be worth spending the extra money and a verified product at that.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
801 Posts
I don't have remote start but that's one thing about my XT that sucks. I don't think I can lock my car when I'm more than 50 ft away from it. My 08 Impreza had range well over a couple of hundred feet.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
179 Posts
I have the smart key on my 2014 XT and the range is lacking. That is one reason I don't have the OEM remote start. Does installing the remote start extend the range? I wouldn't think it would.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
I have the smart key on my 2014 XT and the range is lacking. That is one reason I don't have the OEM remote start. Does installing the remote start extend the range? I wouldn't think it would.

Not sure if installing the factory remote start extends the range of the keyfob. probably not since I am guessing the factory remote start module does not have it's own transmitter\receiver and probably uses the one for the keyless entry system to do it's work.... But...

There are aftermarket remote start's that can be installed that can give you two way key fob range that is claimed to be 1 mile (more than ~5,000 ft). Mind you typically radio frequency ranges on hand held radio transmitters/receivers do not actually perform to their stated ranges. They should put a disclaimer with them that states that the stated range should only be expected in Death Valley on the salt flats on a sunny day when the radio waves have a tail wind. ;) I typically only expect about 1/2 to 2/3 of the stated ranges in any other geographical location. There are also aftermarket options where you can use an app on your handheld device for two way starting of your car (and other goodies) that potentially can start your car from anywhere you and your car can contact a cellular tower.

Nick

·
Registered
2014 XT Premium Auto
25 Posts
Can you guys use your key fob to unlock the car when the car is remote started? I paid for an OEM one and I'm getting the feeling an aftermarket one was put in at the dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes. Two FOBs. One FOB is the remote start unit and the other is the standard unlock/lock FOB.

If the car is remote started, then I CAN walk up to it and press the "other" fob to unlock the doors, etc. The engine cuts off the moment a door is opened, but it DOES unlock the doors.

If yours is not working, how do you have to unlock the doors? Keys?

Does your unlock fob work with the engine NOT running? Just curious because the remote start programming process "reprograms" the vehicle for all transponders in the key and pretty sure the fobs. Maybe the programming didn't account for the fob you are using.

If you were given TWO sets of keys and fobs, have you tried both of the unlock fobs when the car is remote started? This may answer a question or two ... or may just cause more questions.

·
Registered
2014 XT Premium Auto
25 Posts
Yes, I have to manually unlock the door with the key when the car is remote started. The remote starter says "Pursuit" on it so it definitely is not the OEM one. The key fob works like normal when the remote starter is not engaged. The Subaru one is also a two way remote starter, right? If so I'm feeling a little ripped off right now.

I will have to test with the second set.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is definitely NOT an OEM remote start. The OEM fob has "Subaru" on the base of it and it IS a two-way remote. One button, with a lighted surround (around the button). Press the remote start button twice within 3 seconds and it will blink (and beep) once to acknowledge it "communicated" with the car. Then, it will blink (and beep) TWICE once it acknowledges that the car is started. It will also blink/beep 3 times if the car shuts off.

If you got yours from the dealer then you have a MAJOR complaint! While aftermarket remote starts are great, and many times better than OEM ... if you asked for and expected OEM then you have a major complaint.

Normally, aftermarket remote fobs have a control unit that can be connected to the relays in the car to perform the actions on the normal OEM fob. But, if they don't "program" it like an OEM remote, then they have to wire it to the internal functions of the car.

For example: If you start your car normally, your key fob will NOT lock/unlock the doors. BUT, your unlock/lock switch on the door still work ... so they sometimes tie into this relay. So, on an aftermarket remote, you press the unlock button, it is actually hard-wired to the relay that the door switches are tied to. Performs the same function (minus the security system interaction).

It just seems like yours is not OEM and was not properly set up. My wife's van has an aftermarket remote start and it is fine.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts