Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Touring 2.5i
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This rubber piece is loose and I'm not sure how to fix it. I can easily push it back into place, but it just comes loose again. There doesn't seem to be any sort of way to secure the piece to the arch. It almost seems like the rubber piece has been stretched and now doesn't have enough rubbery-ness to keep it held to the arch tightly.
523192
The other rear wheel doesn't have this issue.

Anyone happen to have any ideas on how to get this piece secured?
 
2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
If it is out of warranty, talk to a friendly auto body shop after bribing the with a case of pop and box of good donuts. Do this early in the morning before they open up.

You may get lucky and it will be an easy fix for no charge.
 

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
Joined
·
840 Posts
That mud guard uses several clips to hold it in place. I believe there are 6 or more so I would go to the dealership and buy a few. They cost about $2 each. I don’t know if there is any damage to the bracket.

I’ve never seen the mud guards slip out like that.
 

·
Registered
2017 Touring 2.5i
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That mud guard uses several clips to hold it in place. I believe there are 6 or more so I would go to the dealership and buy a few. They cost about $2 each. I don’t know if there is any damage to the bracket.

I’ve never seen the mud guards slip out like that.
Cool, thanks for the info.

Like a dolt, I didn't even bother poking my head under the car when I had it up on jack stands to rotate the tires this weekend to look at how the unbroken one is secured... o_O
 

·
Registered
2017 Touring 2.5i
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To update this, it seems that the molding is just held in place by pressure from the rubber molding "gripping" a thin, metal part of the arch. The only fastener is at the peak of the arch.

I seem to have fixed it by pulling the loose molding down and thoroughly cleaning it out. There was a surprising amount of dirt packed in to the rubber molding groove.

So, I'm guessing the molding must've gotten knocked loose at some point, which then allowed the rubber molding to accumulate dirt. That, in turn, prevented the rubber molding from being able to fully "re-seat" when I had previously just pushed it back into place.

The fix seems to be working out, as the molding hasn't begun to droop since I fixed it last week. 🤞
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top