Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda Accord
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to my local mechanic today for an oil change. got a response with this photo

i'm told i need new brakes and pads and was quoted $575. a few questions:

1. isn't this really quick for new pads and rotors?
2. does this picture tell the story?
3. why would the rear wear faster than the front (they didn't tell me there was any issue with the front)?
4. is the price fair? should i shop around a bit?
5. is this type of thing covered in the 3 year 36K mile warranty?

thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,256 Posts
Oddly enough, yup rears go first on this car. Mine changed out at 40k.
My dealer quoted me $400
My neighbor is a auto tech. New rotors and pads in my driveway in about 45 mins for $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,605 Posts
Subarus due to the fact it is awd and not fwd will normally wear the rear pads much faster than front pads. The Subaru also a module that always apply the rear pads just slightly ahead of the front to prevent front pads locking.

Remember fwd vehicles have nearly 90%F / 10%R weight distribution, while the Subaru is closer to 55%F / 45%R weight distribution.

My other vehicle is an AWD Mercedes ML 350. It also wears rear pads way faster than the front.

The silver color part with the blue dot is called the proportioning valve, makes sure the rear pads engage before front pads.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I think the ABS acting in concert with the AWD and traction control system affects brake wear to a great extent.
I would hazard a guess that if you drive like grandma(, never in the rain, snow and mud where traction is compromised) the pads would be in much better shape.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Accord
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone for the responses. the problem and quote was from a local mechanic for "mid-range" pads and rotors. whatever that means.

called Subaru this morning and mentioned the 3/36 Wear Warranty and the guy said he had no idea what i was talking about, it was a wear item and i'd be fully responsible (no Warranty coverage).

i just emailed SOA to get a definite as their language is somewhat vauge:

WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

thoughts? and thanks again!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
772 Posts
thanks everyone for the responses. the problem and quote was from a local mechanic for "mid-range" pads and rotors. whatever that means.

called Subaru this morning and mentioned the 3/36 Wear Warranty and the guy said he had no idea what i was talking about, it was a wear item and i'd be fully responsible (no Warranty coverage).

WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

How is that vague?
It hasn't been 3 years and you're below 36K, so it should be covered.

Explanation of wording: if you get to 3 years before you hit 36K miles, you're no longer covered. if you get above 36K miles and you're only 2 years in, you're no longer covered. Your wear coverage ends when you hit 36K miles or at 3 years. Whichever ends up happening first.

(You don't NEED to replace rotors, Subaru would likely only replace the pads)

·
Registered
2009 Honda Accord
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How is that vague?
It hasn't been 3 years and you're below 36K, so it should be covered.

Explanation of wording: if you get to 3 years before you hit 36K miles, you're no longer covered. if you get above 36K miles and you're only 2 years in, you're no longer covered. Your wear coverage ends when you hit 36K miles or at 3 years. Whichever ends up happening first.

(You don't NEED to replace rotors, Subaru would likely only replace the pads)
fair. that is how i read it as well however both the dealer and now SOA are telling me "brake pads are wear items and not covered under warranty". SOA was shockingly (though it's the first time i've ever called) unhelpful and not knowledgeable.

she just kept repeating, "you'll have to bring it to a dealer, we can't take the word of a private mechanic". which wasn't even a point i was trying to argue. i was just trying to get clarity of the wear item warranty and her response was "to the best of my knowledge, pads are a wear item and not covered".

strange...

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,256 Posts
I wonder if an owner had a Gold Plus Extended what that would do in a situation like this ?

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
713 Posts
What month / year did you purchase your car? <Many car 2017 models can be bought in 2016.>

Agree the warranty language seems clear, but I've always assumed brake pads were normal wear items and not warranty covered; so I learned something ... I guess.

That said, the rust on the circumference of the photographed rotor is wow for cars in my area, you must live where they salt winter roads.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
176 Posts
I got 52k out of the rear on my 2017 and brake pull to the left caused me to agree with the service manager saying the tech said the rotors were gone too, especially at 52k. But I have considerable highway mileage that may have extended mine. That pull left with the old rotors. $575 at dealership. But my understanding is that if the brakes wear out before 36k, it is on them!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
840 Posts
If you decide to do your own brake pads, be sure to get the updated set. The new Subaru brake pads do away with the extra shims. There’s a TSB on this.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I don't know, maybe go back in and speak to this guy with your page printed out in black and white from SOA and ask if he's got eye care in his health plan and if so, make use of it. Nothing vague I see there.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
854 Posts
If you decide to do your own brake pads, be sure to get the updated set. The new Subaru brake pads do away with the extra shims. There’s a TSB on this.
Good to know but I haven't heard of this.

Brakes are definitely warranty, SOA is not good these days, I've had to stand on them and bend their ears several times with my 2015, unacceptable. Even my Gold extended warranty is not worth the extra money and I still have to play hardball, twist their arm, and say what if? LOL

BTW, proportioning valves exist on most all modern cars (if not all), they divide F/R braking pressure. They do not necessarily engage one set of pads before the other.

Wow, caliper definitely hanging up as evidenced by uneven inner/outer wear. And the corrosion, OMG!!!

BTW at 58,000 miles my rear pads were at 4mm and even wear, I drive medium...sometimes hard and sometimes mellow lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
went to my local mechanic today for an oil change. got a response with this photo

View attachment 524835

i'm told i need new brakes and pads and was quoted $575. a few questions:

1. isn't this really quick for new pads and rotors?
2. does this picture tell the story?
3. why would the rear wear faster than the front (they didn't tell me there was any issue with the front)?
4. is the price fair? should i shop around a bit?
5. is this type of thing covered in the 3 year 36K mile warranty?

thanks.
I changed just the rear pads on my 2014 at about 60k. The rotors had a lot of metal at that point. I did deal with squealing for a bit, however my plan was to change out rear rotors and fresh pads once the fronts were needed. I sold the vehicle with 115k on the body (new engine under warranty replaced for oil consumption only had 60k) the fronts still had 30% left! I was impressed at how long the fronts lasted. you may get by with turning the rotors. Unlikely that you’d need to replace them. There’s a lot of metal on them.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
9 Posts
Worst case, replacing pads really isn't too hard and is a great thing to know how to do! Pads can be found for $75-125 a pair. Any autozone or oriley will allow you to rent the brake caliper tool. With the car floating and tires off, you could replace the pads and get wheels back on in a hour for all four sides together. :) Totally do-able! I think duralast (autozone's brand) has a lifetime warranty on them. Mechanics can charge 75-150 per hour of work and I think a pair of pads are about 2.5 hours on the time rating scale. Even though it can be done much quicker.

·
Registered
2014 Forester cvt
8 Posts
I wonder if an owner had a Gold Plus Extended what that would do in a situation like this ?

I do. I have a 14 FXT. Had the rear brakes done well after 3 years, and 36K. I had them done around 50K, and paid $350 at the dealer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts