Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated thread title:

I've bought a manual 2017 2.5i forester with very low miles (15,000). It's great except the engine has a audible rattle between 2000-3500 rpm. It is not dependent on temperature, and is only during acceleration, and is rhytmic. It seems to dissapear immediately over 3500 rpm. I've only dealt with piston slap on my 08, and I don't it's that due to the fact it doesn't go away when it warms up. It's still under warranty.

► Edit - moderators note - this thread "Piston slap at under 15,000 miles. The new normal. Help navigating subaru's setting up a possible warranty denial." has been merged with this existing thread on the same subject.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update they want to do an oil consumption test. The Subaru master tech said it was both "totally normal" and suggested "I return the car if I could". ***. They stated they would replace the block if need be yet we're concerned "it had been abused". It was serviced by a subaru dealer throughout it's history. Label me not happy.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another update. I just got the full service history from dealership of the previous owner. Not only were the oil changes on time, they were done by subaru every 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I took my recently purchased 2017 mt 2.5i to the dealer because I started to detect what sounded like piston slap between 2000-3000 rpm. I assumed it couldn't be piston slap and I was mistaken. Well... the foreman took a ride with me. Before we even got out of the parking lot he told me "that's normal". Then when I actually got it up to 2500 rpm he said yes it sounded like piston slap but it was still nothing to be concerned about and normal. I asked is piston slap normal at 14700 miles: "yes". I pointed out I've had two subarus before and my 183,000 mile 08 doesn't have this much piston slap, and even when it does it goes away when it warms up and this does not. "Different engine, this is normal". The tech did say they would replace the short block if such a thing was needed after the oil consumption test. But what troubles me is they continued to pepper all their statements with "we don't know what has happened to this car" and "we don't know how this car was driven" and "we don't know the history". I again said I called the dealership that serviced the car for it's entire life and no problems were reported and all the service work was done as scheduled. The more I pushed on why this was normal the more I felt they were closing ranks... even going as so far as to be very concerned that my previous oil change from three days before was 1/2 quart over...because we all know that causes catastrophic piston failure. I turned to my independent subaru mechanic (a former subaru mechanic). He said he just doesn't understand what subaru has being doing their client base for the last six or seven years.

Is this the new normal for subaru? The subaru I used to be loyal to?

edit Oh and the technician also suggested I return the car and inquired if I could return it. A lot of faith in their own product. Their totally normal product.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well... I've spoken to SOA. While the individual was very nice and polite, I was somewhat told that it's only the dealership's recommendation they go by but they will discuss it with them. So if the mechanic feels piston slap as early as 14,700 is fine then it is. If I get a warranty denial over this, I'll never own a subaru again. I can't wait to see what this car is going to be like at 70k, I say I can't wait but I'm pretty sure I'm getting rid of it and will never know.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update not only was this car properly serviced, the oil changes were done between 3-4000mi. The one and only previous owner was and continues to be a... Subaru service advisor.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,268 Posts
Well... I've spoken to SOA. While the individual was very nice and polite, I was somewhat told that it's only the dealership's recommendation they go by but they will discuss it with them. So if the mechanic feels piston slap as early as 14,700 is fine then it is. If I get a warranty denial over this, I'll never own a subaru again. I can't wait to see what this car is going to be like at 70k, I say I can't wait but I'm pretty sure I'm getting rid of it and will never know.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Slap and chain rattle is NOT normal.

Do not assume the worst. Your contempt for the dealer and anger about this issue will come through, be infectious, and will be reciprocated.
Not what you want...
Bite your lip and tongue: be gracious

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that I have spoken to SOA, things might be ok. The dealership is dodging the "that's normal" "nothing to worry about" & "can you return your car?" talk. Honestly, if the problem just would have been acknowledged and dealt with in the first place instead of giving me the BS lines, I would nave never been upset. Now the trust is broken with the dealer. They BS me, they know I know they BS me, and now I'm supposed to pretend like none of that happened.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
298 Posts
That noise on the 6MT is completely normal. There have been a few threads here and on Facebook about it. It's some sort of exhaust resonance; not a mechanical noise from the engine.

I test drove two different 6MT foresters and bought the third. All thee of them did it.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That noise on the 6MT is completely normal. There have been a few threads here and on Facebook about it. It's some sort of exhaust resonance; not a mechanical noise from the engine.

I test drove two different 6MT foresters and bought the third. All thee of them did it.
Well I actually just assumed it was some sort of resonance from a loose heat shield. It was the mechanic that said it sounded like piston slap. I haven't been able to find any threads specifically about my problem, not that what you say doesn't' exist. Even if the noise is not harmful, it's loud and I am disappointed that this just "exists" from the factory.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
94 Posts
I don’t know if I would call it piston slap but our 2014 2.5i 6mt has kind of a growl that gets more pronounced the more fun oh higher rpm

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you purchased it from a Subaru dealer, was it certified preowned? If so, there could be a 7year 100K mile warranty.
"Audible from 2000 rpm to 3500 rpm", that is like 80% of the driving time, right. Everything except driving in stop and go traffic. I will listen for it in my 2016 Manual Trans.
As for the heat shield, does the CVT version have the same shield and do CVT models make the same noise?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts