Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearing 4 years of ownership and 55,000 miles, my 2017 US Forester XT Touring's electronic gadgets remain by far my least-liked aspect of the car. I gather most or all of these items are by design, and are not malfunctioning. I'd greatly appreciate hearing verification and/or solutions to any and all of these items: 1) the seat position memory loses its place for height (not reach, or recline) a sliver at a time, so that if not reset repeatedly, after a couple months the driver's seat goes to max height every time the car is unlocked 2) "butt unlocking" the car inadvertently while keeping my key in my pocket while I'm in my house and the car is parked in the street, is far too easy and leaves the car unlocked forever. (other car brands re-lock if no door is opened within a time limit) 3) the power tailgate is very slow and balky 4) the stereo cannot be turned off while the transmission is in reverse, a maddening distraction while trying to parallel park quickly 5) if the passenger unlocks the passenger door with her key, the driver's seat goes to her position not mine 6) the doors do not automatically lock on drive-away, and do not automatically unlock when I try to get out at my destination 7) the choices of time delay for the intermittent wipers are poor - there needs to be a choice between a pause of 1 second, and a pause of 5 seconds, while being able to choose both 10 seconds or 15 seconds is useless. 8) the auto headlights take too much time to react to entering tunnels and parking garages 9) the TPMS system should be able to remember 8 separate pressure sensors so that I can swap my winter tires without a dealer visit 10) the navigation's logic for "auto-zoom" of the map never seems to be what I want. 11) if I forget to shift to Park until after shutting off the engine, the car enters a state of endless beeping and non-lockability until the ignition is cycles through acc/on/off again 12) it would be nice to have a function that, after a warning beep, automatically locked the car after my exiting -- my 2010 Mazda had this as an owner-selectable option -- I get why not everyone would want it. There! That's all I can think of for now!!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,734 Posts
1 - that may just be due to age. But then I don't have memory seats so I can't truly help. But is that slight change in height noticed when different drivers have used the car or is it also when only YOU drive the car. For example, you reference the 2nd key - so is the change happening because you drive the car, then the other driver drives and then you again and you notice the change then? In other words - is the seat moving between memory settings when you notice the height difference? That could be just due to the difference between driver 1 and 2 as far as height, weight, etc..
2 - keep your fob out of the back pocket. Seriously. The range on the fob is (I think) about 30 feet. But sometimes that can increase with localized conditions. For example, with most remotes, you can put the fob under your jaw and press the buttons and get more "distance" in the transmission of the signal.
3 - they updated the speed of the auto gate opening on the 2019 models. Not sure what you mean by "balky" but I had an issue with my 2014 making odd noises at times and they found the rear lift was defective and replaced. It seemed a bit quicker after that - but that may just have been my imagination.
4 - it's because your rear camera takes over the head unit for displaying the rear view. So the system would think you were trying to turn off the display. You MAY be able to do that by pushing the volume knob for 3+ seconds, but that would also turn off the camera display (presumably). Instead, just turn the volume down.
5 - the memory of seats is possibly programmed to the driver - so if key 1 is you, key 2 is spouse and key 2 is used, the system thinks driver 2 is going to drive. But as with #1, since I don't have memory seats, I could well be wrong, but logically, that's how the system would think.
6 - there was no auto locking feature on the SJ series (2014 - 2018) but it did appear on the SK (2019 and newer). And you can program "how" it works - at least on some trim levels.
7 - many (most?) makers have a "fixed intermittent wiper" program with pre-set intervals. Some have a variable set. It just is.
8 - you can adjust the sensitivity of the auto head lights - at least on my 2014 Limited. It's in the CAR SETTINGS in the MFD programming at the top of the center stack.
9 - TPMS - at best, the TPMS should allow for 5 (to include a spare). Having 8 is ... well, not everybody needs to swap out to winter tires for X-months per year, so it's adding complexity that a large portion of owners will never use or need. Chances are your 2010 Mazda only holds 4 (I know my 2008 Mazda 3 only had room for 4).
10 - the GPS Zoom is a function of the navigation system provider (I think it's TomTom) and while you may not like it, others may. That becomes a choice. My stand alone Magellan GPS has stupid Zoom, too. I use Waze instead. Oh, but you usually CAN set up some options for the nav, but as with memory seats, I don't have the nav, so I don't know how it can be set up. But there may be a setting someplace in the system options.
11 - Do you have push button start? That may be it. My 2014 (key start) has no problems with shifting. It would probably be related to the brake pedal interlock of the push button start system that causes the issue.
12 - Well, you do have that a bit on your Forester - if you have the push button start, I think. There may be a few little grooves on the exterior door handles... as the push button start uses a proximity type key fob (to recognize when the key is near the car), you can usually just touch that grooved section and the doors lock. The unlock works similarly - but that sensor is on the back/inside part of the door handle. And that may also be something you can program through the settings...

I know that some of the settings exist on a 2020 Sport I just had for a week or two and I could set how I wanted the doors to lock/unlock when driving, and I think I could even program how the doors unlocked when using the remote or approaching the car.

To quell some of your issues, check the CAR SETTINGS features in the MFD programming and you may find some solutions to your qualms.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@FozzieBalou I appreciate your effort to give me a thorough answer, but there are a number of points to add or clarify -- 1) the seat height creep has happened since day #1 in Nov. 2016 and has never changed, despite six visits to two dealers. It doesn't matter whether one driver is the only user of the car, or only the other driver uses it, or we both do alternately. If the car has been locked/unlocked say 250 times in a row without ever resetting seat memory positions, the seat will move to max height when the door is opened, for either of us, despite giving us the correct reach & recline we each want. It takes maybe 30 driving cycles for the height creep to be enough to make the seat motor "whir", at which point the seat might be 1 mm too high for either of us. (at 6'2" I want minimum height) It gradually worsens over the next ~220 times of driving, finally reaching max height after every unlocking then. 2) I mean the fob in my FRONT pocket, which has been my lifetime habit for all my keys for everything, for sixty years at this point. Hate changing that habit. Along with a relock after unwanted unlock, the fob buttons should be harder to depress. 3) the power tailgate balkiness is that sometimes when I push the hatch switch and get the 2 beeps, the hatch relocks itself without ever opening. it's supposed to also be able to be used manually but this only sometimes works - other times when we want manual fast opening, we end up fighting the power mechanism 4) I know the backup camera is linked to the stereo but I don't like that. The volume knob is also non-functional in reverse. 5) a proximity key system should be smart enough to recognize that a person near the right hand door may not want to be the driver, they just want to enter the car. the ability to have both owners carry their own keys seems to me a key important part of planning a well-prepared long trip, but our car fights us doing this. 8) I know about the adjustment of the auto headlights, and I've tried both "high" and "low" and neither are satisfactory (and I'm still confused by that wording, not at all clear to me which one should turn on the lights more readily) 9) the thing that especially gets my goat about the TPMS system is that if there ever was a brand of car that sells to snow-market owners, it's Subaru. And our other car (an Audi) has TPMS that I believe works by the ABS system counting wheel revolutions with no sensors. I can reset it to "Tire Pressures are Correct" in about 30 seconds at home. 11) and 12) yes, I've got push-button start and you're probably right that causes my complaint. I know about the ridges on the outer door handle - that's not at all what I meant about the Mazda3; it would lock itself doing nothing more than exiting and shutting the door, after a warning beep, which I liked. The Forester has driven me batty by finding it unwantedly unlocked far more times than any other car I've ever owned. I've lost TWO pairs of prescription sunglasses to idiotic 2-bit prowlers who don't notice they're stealing something worthless to them.

and, need I add, with the EyeSight system now giving us more than a 2-inch thick owner's manual, I've never owned a car which had such a difficult unreadable manual (two examples, try to find whether the fanciest instrument cluster of a '17 does or does not have an oil level warning light, or try to figure out how to unregister a key from the seat memory)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts