Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had the Forester (non-push button Start) for 3 years now, only last night did I fail to ensure the driver door was closed. Car started fine this morning, but it took a while before all the safety items started to work. Now I'm left with all the interior lighting out, as well as all the courtesy lights, and neither key fob works. I have followed the owners manual by deactivating the system, and reactivating it using the power door lock method, as the Fobs don't work. The alarm system is activated now, but key fobs don't work, and neither does any interior light and courtesy lighting. Anyone got any ideas? Or do I need to see dealer. . . I'm scheduled for servicing on 9/5.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
223 Posts
Have you tried turning the key in the ignition? I am pretty sure that’s what reset it on mine. It happened a few times on me when the car was new.

The center map lights will drain the battery and the built-in protection won’t stop that. After it happened to me twice, I installed a PriorityStart! ProMax HD battery protector. It sits inline between the positive cable and the battery, and shuts off the battery if the voltage drops below 11.7v.

I also have an Optima Yellow Top spiral gel battery. They can be deep cycled without damage, and are safer than standard AGM batteries.

The battery protector kicks on pretty aggressively if I leave the car in ACC too long, but since I do some remote camping it could also save my life. I also carry a lithium ion jumpstarter and power bank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice. I had the battery checked, . . . . factory installed battery rated at 390cca, and it tests 389, and voltage is 12.7. Having service done next week, so I'll inform the dealer of the problems. Problems remaining include: (1) digital clock starts over at 1:00am every time you start the car; (2) all inside lights do not work; (3) outside mirror courtesy lights and door courtesy lights don't work; and (4) neither of my key fobs will lock/unlock the doors. Getting ready to check fuses

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
223 Posts
Wow @medicb, that’s a lot of problems happening at the same time. It makes me wonder if your Body Integrated Unit (BIU) is toast. The BIU is responsible for handling a number of circuits including lights and door locks.

Did you also try unhooking the battery for a few minutes? That might help to reset a stuck BIU, but if there is damage to that unit you will need a replacement, which should be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Banjor: Thanks for the advice. Already tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. . . .no luck. Also found out the interior switch for the rear hatch doesn't work either, although the exterior button on the tailgate does work.
Seeing the dealer next week. We'll see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts