Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2017 2.5i Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 2.5i Premium that I bought from a dealer about 3.5 months ago. Due to COVID, I haven't driven much. The oil change sticker on windshield (from dealer) tells me I have a few thousand more miles to go before I need an oil change. A couple of weeks ago, I took a 1,000-mile road trip to move daughter's belongings from college. After that, every time I turn the car on, I get a warning that it's due for oil and tire maintenance check. Is this just because I took a long road trip? I really don't want to take it back to the dealer unless I absolutely have to, because it's not very close to me. I can't imagine they would sell me a car that wasn't up to date on oil/tires. Should I be worried or is this a common thing to see in a Forester after a long road trip?

· Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,986 Posts
Hi there... welcome to the forum and welcome to your new Forester. The admins may post a request of you to complete your profile and so on....

As for your question - the maintenance reminder. That is all set by the "Multi Function Display" system - the top screen on the center stack, controlled by the 3 buttons on the lower/left side of the steering wheel.

For my 2014 Foz, the information on the MFD and the settings begins, chapter 3, page 36. Your manual may have it in a different place. Page 66 in chapter 3 then talks about the maintenance reminders.

You can set those maintenance reminders on mileage AND/OR on dates. The maintenance reminders are for
  • Engine Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • Tires
You can also turn the maintenance reminders off (through this same screen set) and also clear them all. Your dealer should have cleared them all before selling the car to you and MAY have entered some suggested maintenance reminders in there for you.

The maintenance reminder will pop up for a certain # of times (3 or ?) each time you start the car. Then there may be a yellow "I" icon in the MFD alerting you to something needed.

The MFD can be very useful for remembering things like maintenance, remembering important dates, keep track of mileage, MPG, speed, and more. If you have X-Mode, it would show you the X-Mode functioning - what wheels are getting traction, etc. - and more. It's a very useful tool and can do more than just "welcome" you to your Subaru when you open the door.

· Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
211 Posts
If your car is like my 2017 2.5i model, the owner could have programmed the settings for reminders to come on for them, now superceded by maintenance done later. If you have the owner's manual instructions to program these reminders are in it for you. My 2017 does not check the condition of the oil, the reminder goes on if I want it to. Do you have a serivce record to check last tire rotation? If 10k or more miles, overdue (can be done at 6k, I use 8-10k.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts