Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with SOA yesterday about their taking "recalls" off the home page of MySubaru.com. Agent showed me how to access it but is not straight forward. At top of home page, select "service" and at bottom of list is recalls area to click.
Well, I did that and it didn't show a recall. HOWEVER, SOA agent did inform me that there IS an open recall with the Occupant Detection Sensor (ODS) for Forester.. The code is WUM98 and it was just posted on company's site on October 3. It does not yet appear on mysubaru.com as of today, Oct. 10!. NIHTSA has been investigating this issue for some time whereby the ODS does not detect a person in passenger seat. I guess Subaru decided to call it a "recall" last week. It applies to over 500,000 Forester vehicles. However, there is NOT a fix at this time...I called my dealer, service advisor I know. He did confirm the recall. But since there is no FIX currently, owners just need to be patient. It is not clear whether the airbag will engage or not during a crash. I hope it will!!
When I sat in the passenger seat of my Forester, the display went from OFF, to ON. This is a good thing, I think.
So at this point, I wanted to let Forester owners know.

·
Registered
2000 Forester 4eat
96 Posts
I just called my local dealer. They said 6 months for them to get the parts for the repair. They will start to schedule once they have parts.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just spoke with SOA in their "recall" department. He said I can get the existing ODS replaced NOW. Since it is new, it should last until they get the repaired part sent to dealers. His estimate is it will take 1-2 months before operational part will be supplied to dealers. So, I'm taking it to dealer on Wednesday and will keep you posted!
jfd

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
142 Posts
Keep in mind this recall only applies to cars with heated seats. My 2017 is an N/A (I use a high output heated seat cushion a lot cheaper than the dealer cold weather option package. Like by $300.) If in doubt you can punch in your VIN number on the government recall website.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
39 Posts
Not sure if my '17 will be recalled but since the fix is new it should. My passenger side air bag stopped coming on early in the ownership and the seat cushion was replaced under warranty. It's worked fine since then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts