Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just got my Forester two weeks ago and the first thing that had to happen was some tint on all of that glass! 2CAA8600-18B6-4DBA-B081-DFCD7B71104A.jpeg

·
Registered
2017 2.5i
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I went darker than factory. No moonroof I have a base model. Just installed fog lights myself this weekend. I added those photos on another thread.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,786 Posts
I think I saw that one.

Nice. I always tint too as a thing I do in the first week of ownership. But I tint everything but the windshield, and I told to go pretty dark.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t know about the clear film. The state passed a new law in 2017 requiring front windows to be tested when the car is inspected.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
186 Posts
I wish I could tint the front windows, it’s illegal in NY.
It's illegal in CT too... But, I can't handle glare, especially at night.

As @SoobADoob sugests a clear tint like 3M Crystaline (CR90), or Solargard Vortex (IR80) might still be legal, or un-noticeable. They are considered transparent, or clear.

These films transmit 90% and 80% of light (respectively), meaning you can easily see through the glass. They do however block 98-99% of UV light, but also 80-97% of Near Infrared light (which is felt as heat).

Some are crystal clear, that people put the film on the front windscreen. Search YouTube for examples of the film and installation etc.

I have used the Vortex film (cheaper and easier to get), to tint the factory privacy glass. Not in order to make it darker, just to cut down heat, for the Dogs.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Auto
97 Posts
Check to see if 3M Crystaline is legal in your area for an eye prescription.
If you are looking to pursue medical window tints to make your vehicle safer, you must have a waiver, and proper authorization requires a physician’s signed statement. In most cases, you will need to fill out a vehicle tint-waiver request form — or some form along those lines — depending on where you reside.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
61 Posts
Check to see if 3M Crystaline is legal in your area for an eye prescription.
If you are looking to pursue medical window tints to make your vehicle safer, you must have a waiver, and proper authorization requires a physician’s signed statement. In most cases, you will need to fill out a vehicle tint-waiver request form — or some form along those lines — depending on where you reside.

I have 3M Crystaline 90 installed on my front windshield. In PA, I had to apply for APPLICATION FOR SUN SCREENING CERTIFICATE OF EXEMPTION (http://mynotarypa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/mv-402.pdf) with physician’s signature to get certificate in order to pass PA safety inspection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all, just got my Forester two weeks ago and the first thing that had to happen was some tint on all of that glass! View attachment 529365
I did the same thing w/my 16.
Matched the tint in the rear windows.
Would have still liked it a bit darker but it matches.
Also did the tint across the top (or visor) windshield.
Really made a difference.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport, White
16 Posts
The first thing I did was tint also. 5% on back and 20% in the front...I think. I have the medical waiver. A full body ceramic coat is next. With eyesight a sun shade is impossible. I think it may be possible to small panels on either side of the eyesight cameras.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts