Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm about to decide upon the tires for my 2017 Forester and seeking some feedback.
42,000 miles currently on my Foz.

My priority:

1. Stable, planted grip of the SUV on a freeway.
2. Confidence inspiring drive especially in wet conditions on freeway.

Unfortunately it's been a terrifying experience so far with the stock Yokohama Geolander and feel Forester is not a great buy for a good freeway driving experience.

I have zeroed upon these 3:

1. Falken Wild Peak A/T Trail
2. Michelin Defender A/S
3. Toyo Open Country A/T - 3

I live in NC and worry less about snow and more about rains. Haven't ever driven a vehicle on A/T but curious to try if it meets my requirements.

Any suggestions/comments/feedback welcome.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
60 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my personal experience on my 2020 Forester, I recommend these all-seasons. Best tires I have used in the rain. Feel good and stable on the freeways, too.

Have to say though, A/T tires look sweet on Foresters.
Thank you and that’s good to know. Pricing is great on that but have decided to try a different brand than Yokohama this time.

yeah, A/T is my liking too but Curious on A/T tires in wet and freeways at 70-80 mph. Read some concerns with that combo.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
3,145 Posts
Based upon your two priorities I would go with an all-season tire such as the Michelin you mentioned. The main reason to get an all-terrain tire is if you drive on unpaved, rocky roads where you are likely to get a tire cut in the sidewall or tread. BTW, a popular A/S tire among Forester owners is the General Altimax RT43 which you'll find less expensive than the Michelin.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based upon your two priorities I would go with an all-season tire such as the Michelin you mentioned. The main reason to get an all-terrain tire is if you drive on unpaved, rocky roads where you are likely to get a tire cut in the sidewall or tread. BTW, a popular A/S tire among Forester owners is the General Altimax RT43 which you'll find less expensive than the Michelin.
Thank you.. This helps. Yeah, there’s a rebate going on in discount tire for Michelin and hence I was thinking. I will look into General Altimax as well.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For highway driving I got MICHELIN DEFENDER T + H 6 mos ago. Very pleased with them.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yeah, rebate going on in discount tire and hence keen on Michelin.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
141 Posts
Would you consider a performance all-season tire such as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+?
I have them on my forester right now and have posted about them here:

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
141 Posts
Here in Seattle he have a lot of rain, with snow maybe once every year, and I’m totally loving my Michelin CrossClimate2’s.
Those are definitely a great option from what I have seen!
If you don't have winter tires, I would go for CrossClimate2 and if you do have winter tires like I do, and your top priority is handling, consider the Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you consider a performance all-season tire such as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+?
I have them on my forester right now and have posted about them here:
I did a quicksearch in tirerack and it doesn't fit my wheel, hence not available. Currently I have a tire size 225/70/R17.

Wet weather results are top notch for this tire and is more expensive too :-/

·
Registered
2017 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you don't have winter tires, I would go for CrossClimate2 and if you do have winter tires like I do, and your top priority is handling, consider the Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
It's great but really expensive :-/... Trying to stick below $700 mark out of door.

·
Registered
MY09 XS EJ20 Petrol N/A 4EAT
6 Posts
I have Michelin Latitude Cross fitted - brilliant all rounder tyres, safe and sound on the highway too...not sure if any cheaper than CrossClimate2 in USA but I certainly would fit them again :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5MT
65 Posts

I picked up some Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails for mine and I live in Oregon. It doesn’t rain anywhere more than here, except up by Olympic National Park. I know they will do great in the rain otherwise I wouldn’t have chose them because I had problems with my last set of tires in the second biggest rainstorm I’ve ever drove through last weekend and decided to upgrade.

·
Registered
2015 forester, 6 speeds and a quart of oil
168 Posts
We put a set of Michelin Cross Climates on our Mazda and they are fantastic tires that are not only great in the rain, but are snow-rated, too.
Even better: they have truly great handling characteristics. Plus the tread pattern is way-cool.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 549648

View attachment 549649

I picked up some Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails for mine and I live in Oregon. It doesn’t rain anywhere more than here, except up by Olympic National Park. I know they will do great in the rain otherwise I wouldn’t have chose them because I had problems with my last set of tires in the second biggest rainstorm I’ve ever drove through last weekend and decided to upgrade.
Thank you.. wonderful to hear this is a good fit for my needs 😀... I’m inclined for an AT for some reason and might give this a shot.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
576 Posts
Asked a guy about the defender the other day. His second set. They look more aggressive than the Premier A/S I run. My second set. They are good in rain. Biggest thing I noticed , going from the Geolander to these, was I could maintain speed on grooved pavement and in the rain. Sure back off in a deluge, but not to 60mph. 😉

I am a fan of Michelin. i may try a more aggressive looking tire, or stay with what impressed me on the highway. All depends on what kind of driving you need them to excel.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
10 Posts
I am on my second set of Defenders. Good on dirt roads, really good on paved roads, quiet, good grip in rain.
I am not a tire guy. I never have to think about the tires, just drive 2014 Forester and feel safe.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring and 2020 Forester Sport
2 Posts
Hi all,

I'm about to decide upon the tires for my 2017 Forester and seeking some feedback.
42,000 miles currently on my Foz.

My priority:

1. Stable, planted grip of the SUV on a freeway.
2. Confidence inspiring drive especially in wet conditions on freeway.

Unfortunately it's been a terrifying experience so far with the stock Yokohama Geolander and feel Forester is not a great buy for a good freeway driving experience.

I have zeroed upon these 3:

1. Falken Wild Peak A/T Trail
2. Michelin Defender A/S
3. Toyo Open Country A/T - 3

I live in NC and worry less about snow and more about rains. Haven't ever driven a vehicle on A/T but curious to try if it meets my requirements.

Any suggestions/comments/feedback welcome.

Thank you!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts